git@vger.kernel.org list mirror (unofficial, one of many)
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* [PATCH] gc: don't translate literal commands
@ 2022-09-20  5:07 Alex Henrie
  2022-09-20 19:07 ` Jeff King
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Alex Henrie @ 2022-09-20  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git, peff, gitster; +Cc: Alex Henrie

These commands have no placeholders to be translated.

Signed-off-by: Alex Henrie <alexhenrie24@gmail.com>
---
 builtin/gc.c | 6 +++---
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/builtin/gc.c b/builtin/gc.c
index 0accc02406..2753bd15a5 100644
--- a/builtin/gc.c
+++ b/builtin/gc.c
@@ -1461,7 +1461,7 @@ static char *get_maintpath(void)
 }
 
 static char const * const builtin_maintenance_register_usage[] = {
-	N_("git maintenance register"),
+	"git maintenance register",
 	NULL
 };
 
@@ -1519,7 +1519,7 @@ static int maintenance_register(int argc, const char **argv, const char *prefix)
 }
 
 static char const * const builtin_maintenance_unregister_usage[] = {
-	N_("git maintenance unregister"),
+	"git maintenance unregister",
 	NULL
 };
 
@@ -2542,7 +2542,7 @@ static int maintenance_start(int argc, const char **argv, const char *prefix)
 }
 
 static const char *const builtin_maintenance_stop_usage[] = {
-	N_("git maintenance stop"),
+	"git maintenance stop",
 	NULL
 };
 
-- 
@@ -1461,7 +1461,7 @@ static char *get_maintpath(void)
 }
 
 static char const * const builtin_maintenance_register_usage[] = {
-	N_("git maintenance register"),
+	"git maintenance register",
 	NULL
 };
 
@@ -1519,7 +1519,7 @@ static int maintenance_register(int argc, const char **argv, const char *prefix)
 }
 
 static char const * const builtin_maintenance_unregister_usage[] = {
-	N_("git maintenance unregister"),
+	"git maintenance unregister",
 	NULL
 };
 
@@ -2542,7 +2542,7 @@ static int maintenance_start(int argc, const char **argv, const char *prefix)
 }
 
 static const char *const builtin_maintenance_stop_usage[] = {
-	N_("git maintenance stop"),
+	"git maintenance stop",
 	NULL
 };
 
-- 
2.37.3


^ permalink raw reply related	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH] gc: don't translate literal commands
  2022-09-20  5:07 [PATCH] gc: don't translate literal commands Alex Henrie
@ 2022-09-20 19:07 ` Jeff King
  2022-09-20 19:43   ` Alex Henrie
  2022-09-21 17:35   ` Junio C Hamano
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Jeff King @ 2022-09-20 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Henrie; +Cc: git, gitster

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 11:07:25PM -0600, Alex Henrie wrote:

> These commands have no placeholders to be translated.

I think this is the right thing to do, but your commit message made me
pause for a second. When you say "placeholders", I think you mean %s,
etc. And yes there aren't any here, but that is not the reason not to
translate. The reason not to translate is that the strings are commands
which are given to a machine.

So maybe something like:

  There are no human-readable parts of these strings; the command you
  type is still "git maintenance" even in other languages.

Regardless, the patch looks good to me. Thanks for catching it.

-Peff

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH] gc: don't translate literal commands
  2022-09-20 19:07 ` Jeff King
@ 2022-09-20 19:43   ` Alex Henrie
  2022-09-20 19:55     ` Jeff King
  2022-09-21 17:35   ` Junio C Hamano
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Alex Henrie @ 2022-09-20 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: git, gitster

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 1:07 PM Jeff King <peff@peff.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 11:07:25PM -0600, Alex Henrie wrote:
>
> > These commands have no placeholders to be translated.
>
> I think this is the right thing to do, but your commit message made me
> pause for a second. When you say "placeholders", I think you mean %s,
> etc. And yes there aren't any here, but that is not the reason not to
> translate. The reason not to translate is that the strings are commands
> which are given to a machine.
>
> So maybe something like:
>
>   There are no human-readable parts of these strings; the command you
>   type is still "git maintenance" even in other languages.

By "placeholders" I mean "things in angle brackets", like some of the
other usage strings in this file have. Maybe "argument placeholders"
would be more clear. I like that term a little better than the term
"human-readable parts" because these strings are part of the user
interface, so humans have to read them. But I really don't care
whether there's any explanation in the commit message at all. Junio
could just drop the sentence altogether when he commits the patch.

> Regardless, the patch looks good to me. Thanks for catching it.

No problem, and thanks for the feedback.

-Alex

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH] gc: don't translate literal commands
  2022-09-20 19:43   ` Alex Henrie
@ 2022-09-20 19:55     ` Jeff King
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Jeff King @ 2022-09-20 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Henrie; +Cc: git, gitster

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 01:43:56PM -0600, Alex Henrie wrote:

> > So maybe something like:
> >
> >   There are no human-readable parts of these strings; the command you
> >   type is still "git maintenance" even in other languages.
> 
> By "placeholders" I mean "things in angle brackets", like some of the
> other usage strings in this file have. Maybe "argument placeholders"
> would be more clear. I like that term a little better than the term
> "human-readable parts" because these strings are part of the user
> interface, so humans have to read them. But I really don't care
> whether there's any explanation in the commit message at all. Junio
> could just drop the sentence altogether when he commits the patch.

Yeah. It was mostly that the term actively misled me. ;) Just the
subject (with "literal command") would probably be enough in this case.

-Peff

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [PATCH] gc: don't translate literal commands
  2022-09-20 19:07 ` Jeff King
  2022-09-20 19:43   ` Alex Henrie
@ 2022-09-21 17:35   ` Junio C Hamano
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2022-09-21 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff King; +Cc: Alex Henrie, git

Jeff King <peff@peff.net> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 11:07:25PM -0600, Alex Henrie wrote:
>
>> These commands have no placeholders to be translated.
>
> I think this is the right thing to do, but your commit message made me
> pause for a second. When you say "placeholders", I think you mean %s,
> etc. And yes there aren't any here, but that is not the reason not to
> translate. The reason not to translate is that the strings are commands
> which are given to a machine.

I had the same reaction.  The strings shown in the choices need to
be given as spelled and there is no i18n there.


> So maybe something like:
>
>   There are no human-readable parts of these strings; the command you
>   type is still "git maintenance" even in other languages.

I think calling that "no human-readable" would probably give another
confusion, though.

The title uses a good phrase: "literal commands", so the latter half
of your rewrite should be sufficient.

    The command you type is still "git maintenance" even in other
    languages.

> Regardless, the patch looks good to me. Thanks for catching it.

Yes.  Good finding.

Will apply.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2022-09-21 17:35 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2022-09-20  5:07 [PATCH] gc: don't translate literal commands Alex Henrie
2022-09-20 19:07 ` Jeff King
2022-09-20 19:43   ` Alex Henrie
2022-09-20 19:55     ` Jeff King
2022-09-21 17:35   ` Junio C Hamano

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this public inbox

	https://80x24.org/mirrors/git.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).