From: gregor <podrzaj.gregor@gmail.com>
To: rms@gnu.org
Cc: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org, gregor <gregor.podrzaj@riseup.net>
Subject: Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?> the headache of it all dissolves in forgiveness
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 11:50:00 +0100	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 14094 bytes --]

dear mr rms,

i will always and more than gladly think, before answering any letter
that you send me. it is always an honour.

let me not even begin, by putting some caveats first:

as for all the spelling mistakes, please bear with them(you might
specially notice how gladly i dont use capital letters, i never knew
where to put comas, must be sort of personal coma koma, etc.).  and the
clumsines of my english must be known by now. as for the humor, i
realize mine is not funny for most people, but i know surrelly of one,
who is always laughing at them. those jokes are for him.

be that thinking even harmfull to me, i will do it. you my kind sir, are
a treasure, time will only tell the greatness of.

"pa pojdimo lepo po vrsti, kot so tudi hiše v trsti" is what we would
say for such an occasion (its never late to start learning another
language, my mothers tonge is beautiful)

firstly i thought of doing the positive logical approach, that is to
say, i shall write a letter of answer to Jaocob H., the way i imagine it
would and should be written (outreach, communications, emphasis). for
the difference of negative approach, where i go and try to dismantle or
rather go against(hence negative aproach) - one by one - Devins
statments, claims, toughs etc., which i will do in a second part.

then in the third part, i shall try answering your questions.

is also why i use word: logical swordfigt - for me  it connotates a
negative logic approach dialog, and is also why i claim headaches for
thinking. i dont like to fight, gives head&heart ache.

so here goes nothing (like in that monthypython meanning of life, where
the french waiter takes us to see "it", only to dismiss us in the end)

so what was rude? you ask. the logic of it all. it hurt my logic.
rudeness which was to hurt my feelings of ratio, strange huh? the sheer
prepostorous reassoning behind it all. so i go now dismantle that poor
selection of wordings (watch the head boy) /*let me first find that
letter ... here it is ...

###

On 2/24/22 03:04, Jacob Hrbek wrote:

> Today russian forces invaded ukraine and started an unprovoked war
> with free software being used across russia and in the government
> thus playing a major role in russia's war capabilities.

What the FSF is taking action on immediately is abiding economic
sanctions against Russia. This effects distribution of shop orders and
membership cards, for example.

###

POSITIVE: my dear mr. Jacob H., (i already see, it will be hard for me
to drop the usual cinisizm i would personally use, i would say here
something like --- wtf, go read the 4 freedoms, meditate on it and come
back. but as an ourtreach comm, it could be something like:) your claim
in the first statement is full of very opinioneated statements,  (aaah,
see, thats not good altough they all are just that)
try nr.2 dear mr jacob H., the sentiments you express are your personal
ones. please refrain from expressing them on this list, because they are
very very contraversial, and we dont want nor need to involve ourselves
and our organisation in them contraversies. i might share them, we all
might (or none), but it is completelly out of the scope of this list,
also, let me remind you, that FSF is not a political organization. so,
rude as it may sound, lets not talk politics here, shall  we.

try3: dear mr J.H., there is always much contraversies, let alone
tragedies, around us all. i can see your emotional reaction and can
appreciate it as such, but, FSF is not, can not and shall not be part of
any such controversies let alone worse. i would also like to remind you,
that going by emotions in this case is just worsening the situation, so
please, think better of it.

NEGATIVE:

when Devin answers with: " 'what' the FSF ... ", that 'what' makes me
think that there is something going on, something extraordinare (for the
difference of uganda, tunguzija and slovenija, where daily people
suffer) but lets see, what comes next: "... is taking action on
immediately" , so there is active immediate response, by which i imagine
some people doing the research on how to best fullfill  " ... is abiding
economic sanctions against Russia ..." oh, is not that bad, still shows
to me there is an active engagement in abiding them sanctions, and that,
as much as i dont like(active engagement), must be done.

but then, is there the same amount of active engagemant on all the other
issues? and that is no trivial question, for there might be monsanto
using free software for spraying prohibited neonicotins, or ... and then
we come to the problem of arbitrirary choosing as best as we can, out of
zillion unjustices, which ones we will fight against. monsanto?
terrorists? bad jokes? so who will decide - Freud or Jung? who's the
arbiter. very Pandoraboxical you see. it's a trap.

so i wonder what would this selective active engagement in our case
mean. and i come to the conclusion, that it is a political stance. its
active and selective, what more can you do as a solder taking sides.

to add. there is a complete lack of correcting Jacob in boldness to put
forward his emotional political assumptions, thus opening the pandoras
box of, well you know, everything flew out, all we are left with now is
hope.

now i am to elaborate how come, that Jacobs statement is but propaganda,
at best just his opinion. but i will not. it is my firm opinion that it
is. but i also share another opinion, which is: it is very bad to share
opinions like they were apples, among so many strangers in so short a
space, they're bound to land rotten. lets just stick each to our own
rotten apple (opinion).

or as g.marx said: i have this principle, if you dont like it, well, i
have others.

but jokes aside, it's not about Jacobs opinions, i could go fence more
on that, but why. it's just to point out - again - that the answer or
rather the lack of it, shows complete support of emotionally charged
jacobs opinion (the stupiditi of a sentence: "with free software being
used across russia and in the government." would be so easilly destroyed
i am ashamed even to think of words. the headache of it all. and mind
you, i think i am doing us all a big favor, not to mention more about that)

### now for the second part, the horror of it

> Should we and can we take steps to prevent/reduce russia's access to
> our software?

We are working within the legal frameworks of this evolving situation,
and will seek legal advice when necessary. The details are complex
given the very nature of free (as in freedom) software.

In short, the FSF is taking the situation seriously. Thank you for
raising the point.

###

positive:

take 1: there is no such thing as reducing access in them 4 freedoms.
some politenenss about how to best understand 4 freedoms maybe a link or
two (so for all them nubs, not to blunder stupidities)

nr.2: your statement again shows more emotions than logic. by the 4
freedoms we shall live, whitout, we are gonners

"v tretje gre rado" - many a times, there is this third take that i make
good.

3: The answer to your question is thankfully very simple. we should not
and would not want to. for the 4 freedoms are beyond the petty politics
of the day.

/* and some conclusion saying that nobody better touch this subject even
with a stick ... "da se nebi niti s palico dotaknil tega dreka", of
course polite

negative:

unless its a royal We, there are as i suspected earlier, at least 2!
persons working selectivelly activelly, "within a legal frameworks",
that sounds ok, but for the obvious abovementioned selectivness. (no new
argument here), "will seek ..." ok, ok. again (old argument), for how
many other things were deemed necessary, and who chooses it. (same
argument used above)

"details are complex" ... maybe, them sanctions every day different, but
the four freedoms are not complex. so what coplexness is he on about i
wonder. and i conclude, that he is talking about his not understanding
the beauty of simplicity that the four freedoms gospel exhibits. for if
he would, he would dismiss Jacobs question about "prevent/reduce" in the
first place. and there are at least 2 persons in FSF (i doubt Devin
spends royal with cheese) actively doing something, against 4 freedoms
is what i conclude.

"taking situation seriously" i think i dismantled this twice already.

"thank you for raising the point". this alone statement could be fine,
but in the context, is what i blurred in my rude letter, as if he (and
at least one more person) was hardly waiting to add his emotions to the
"pandoras  spectre flying circus", hence negativelly impact on the whole
"war in question" happenings (don't know how better to shortly put it),
dragging FSF in that dark place where only hope survives.

also and again - no correcting jacobs misimpretation of the four
freedoms  alone is bad. but then, when Jacob claims the software "our
software". is there no decency left? yes sure, i am rude and undecent.
but nothing surpasses that apropriatory statement "our software". are
russians not human?

###

now to answer your questions (as best as i can, and will gladly try to
shine more light on the obscurities, if asked):

why rude you ask. it hurt my sense of logic. instead of stopping the
hate, lowering emotional charge, there is warmongering shouting(am not
thinking in english now, so translation of my thoughts is clumsilly
direct). and i tought something like that could not happen in FSF. i
find it very rude to be calling civilians to go to war. i find it very
very rude to be coming from FSF.

when i say "and signed with fsf credentials" my meanning is: he is
representing an official stance "glede tega vprašanja" on this subject.
and if that is so (for which i doubted at that time), i am now
dumbfounded to realize, that fsf is a political front. or am i wrong?

when you say:

His message was political in the sense that it responded to a
political question about a political situation.  That's natural.

firstly, i am sadened to see you defend his position. my sentiment
namely is: no political debate or expressing ones political opinion is
valid in fsf (unless pertaining to free software). so i don't see why
you needed to dvelve into this.

surelly, everithing is political. greek for non-political person is
i-diotes (nowadays we use it differently :). but there are so many petty
politics, i don't see this war (don't get me wrong, there is no petty
war, ever been) as being any different. for, i could send a mail a day
to libreplanet about some or other injustice, claiming complete
knowledge of it and demanding action.

I don't know what "politično angažiran" means.  The words "politically
motivated" are vague; if you're trying to hint at something, I don't
know what it is.  It would be a mistake to try to guess!

his letter is in my opinion polittically motivated. he is taking a stand
in a war which he is no part of. and even if he were, that should be his
personal view and shouldnt come even close to fsf. why recruting
soldiers for a war you never been even close to, and thinking that
everything you get out of that box, called tv is truth. you might be
recruting murderes of civilians, in the case your tv lied to you. are
you willing to take that risk? not to mention, most of you never been to
war. well i have. and it was fought by that same type of people you are
demonstrating now to be. warmongers from "other continents" (is more to
that, but the heartache of it). and propaganda. and then my people died.
(am criying now remembering, but thats all good)

the rest of your letter i think has no questions in it, so i shall
conclude with:

i am always willing to accept any and all apologies, and offer mine when
i fell i did wrong. what, but flowers we are, coloring our way, closer
and closer to the sun.

and forgivness is the basis of my "religion", so i am so very glad that
you've ended your letter with it

there will always be a huge room for you in my heart, dear mr rms

yt