From: Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net>
To: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
Cc: Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz>,
	libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Re: Should distros take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 19:52:51 -0800	[thread overview]

The point of the podcast discussion was to grapple with the questions
about power. I'm not saying I agree with every point or the way they
frame the discussion. They are saying something to the effect of
"empowering all people in the world via decentralized software freedom
gives up the possibility of controlling bad actors", and the tension is
whether there's any viable stance for the idea of even truly democratic
organized power being okay having that sort of power over individual actors.

I think the podcast is worth a listen, and your reactivity about Ukraine
being described as "sovereign" is not relevant to the question.

That said, the 13,000+ who died in Eastern Ukraine over the past several
years are not all victims of the Ukrainian government directly, it
amounts to the deaths on both sides. You can argue that the Ukrainian
government could have made different decisions to avoid the situation,
but other will argue that the Russian support of separatists is also at
fault. Regardless of these dynamics, I get your point. Ukraine wasn't
merely a plain old peaceful place prior to the recent invasion. Still,
Russia chose to spread the war to a much greater scale and a much
greater geographic region, affecting vastly greater numbers of people.

"Sovereignty is lost at time point when there is abuse and neglect of
human rights."

Nonsense. Tell that to China. We can't honestly have a debate about
whether China is a sovereign nation. We could discuss whether sovereign
states of the modern sort should even exist at all. That could be more
interesting. We could assert a political claim about what types of state
sovereignty *ought* to exist or that we *recognize* (in the way that
people politically refuse to recognize basic facts because of political
tensions about the acknowledgement).

But this gets too tangential for this list about software freedom. The
philosophical and on-topic question is: are there ever situations where
the decentralized power of software freedom is too dangerous? And if so,
is it even possible to avoid it? And if so, who would justly be in
control of such technology restrictions.

It is a valid, and FSF-aligned position to say either that no situation
ever justifies having software available but keeping the code restricted
*or* to say that even if such situations exist, there is no (or even can
never be a) powerful entity which we can trust to be the one managing
the restrictions. But this is a discussion we could bother having.

There is no discussion to have about blocking Russian military from
using GNU/Linux distros. That's as out of scope as wishing for them not
to have access to nuclear technology. The inventors of nuclear
technology might feel guilty about their role in the threat of nuclear
war, but it's too late now to undo that. The question now that we can at
least have philosophically is to reflect on this in terms of considering
whether or not we see a place for limits to software freedom for
dangerous technology. And that discussion doesn't rely on any agreement
about which current actors are good or bad.