From: Erica Frank <e.lynn.frank@gmail.com>
Cc: LibrePlanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
Subject: Re: Should distros take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 10:03:29 -0800	[thread overview]

This makes no sense.

"Free software" does not mean "until you use it for immoral or illegal
purposes."

First, the practical side: Savannah, Github, and Sourceforge are not the
only sources. There are distributors, small and large, all over the web. If
the big three stopped hosting it, or blocked downloads, other ones would
pop up quickly. This happens even for pirate sites - did the end of
Napster, Limewire, and Kazaa end unauthorized music downloading? Once the
code is out there, there's no putting it back under lock. If the free
software community wanted to prevent the software from being used for evil,
that needed to be folded into the original license, not added decades
later. This is hardly the first war, nor the first horrifically oppressive
political action, since the free software movement began.

More importantly: Any restrictions on distribution or use will hit
marginalized communities first and hardest. This is *always* what happens
when "morality" laws are introduced - the goal is to restrict or end
corruption, but the result is crackdowns on the people who are easiest to
find and punish. The penalties hit the people who don't have resources, not
the ones who are causing the problems.

You think the Russian government and military orgs can't operate VPNs? It's
the everyday citizens, ones who oppose the war, who would be hurt by "no
downloading from Russian IPs." Hell, if they need to, Russian gov't agents
can travel to other countries, buy a new laptop, and download anything they
want. There is no type of restriction on access that is going to hurt the
Russian government and military more than it hurts the average user, who
had no choice in the war.