* FSF individualism in Logic Magazine
@ 2019-09-17 17:51 Danny Spitzberg
From: Danny Spitzberg @ 2019-09-17 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org

Hi all

this article <https://logicmag.io/failure/freedom-isnt-free/> on the
"failure" of free software ran last month (long before the recent scandal)
and offers what could be an important wake up call — especially in light of
the wild hand-wringing about RMS.

The following quote feels prescient:

“Free software pioneers like Stallman tended to approach the issue from an
individualized perspective, drawn from the 1970s-1980s hacker culture that
many of them came from: if you could change how enough hackers wrote and
used software, you could change the world. This highly personalized model
of social change proposed an individual solution to a structural problem,
which necessarily neglected the wider social context.”

As we look forward from this RMS fracas, I wonder how other folks here feel
about this article.

   Hi all
   [1]this article on the "failure" of free software ran last month (long
   before the recent scandal) and offers what could be an important wake
   up call — especially in light of the wild hand-wringing about RMS.
   The following quote feels prescient:
   “Free software pioneers like Stallman tended to approach the issue from
   an individualized perspective, drawn from the 1970s-1980s hacker
   culture that many of them came from: if you could change how enough
   hackers wrote and used software, you could change the world. This
   highly personalized model of social change proposed an individual
   solution to a structural problem, which necessarily neglected the wider
   social context.”
   As we look forward from this RMS fracas, I wonder how other folks here
   feel about this article.

References

   1. https://logicmag.io/failure/freedom-isnt-free/

* Re: FSF individualism in Logic Magazine
@ 2019-09-18 12:51 ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2019-09-18 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Spitzberg; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org