From: Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
To: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Re: Truth Social as an example of the limits of free software
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 08:06:18 +0100	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 7145 bytes --]

Good post, however the decision to use free software is taken by
humans,and the decision to respect or acknowledge the license is also a
human decision. So is the problem with people rather than the software.

Another problem seems to be the media,  obsessed with headlines and
generating income from in some cases poor, lazy and sloppy journalism,
it sells ads so who cares, but people want 'instant' updates this is
very difficult with fast developing stories.  It takes time to
investigate, fact check and write.

Truth.social only made headlines because Trump was behind it.  Mastodon
made the headlines briefly as there was a big exodus from Twitter, but
the media don't want to give these smaller players equal air time and
given how Mastodon is being reported as hard to use, perhaps that is a
'good' thing.

Where does freedom to write and publish balance between earning enough
money to live, one of the reasons facebook can't carry news is that they
don't want to pay media outlets for that news as per recent laws,  the
downside of what this law has done,  is that while it fixes payment in
the case of the fires in Canada where people NEED the news,  they didn't
get the updates needed.

I am not sure happened in Maui but it seems the warning was sent out via
social media as the sirens failed, but we need to wait for the
investigation to find out what actually happened there.

All we can do is keep going and promote free software in the best light
we can, listen to any criticism, and acknowledge this and address the
issues / concerns raised.

Paul

Paul Sutton, Cert Cont Sci (Open)
https://personaljournal.ca/paulsutton/