From: "J.B. Nicholson" <jbn@forestfield.org>
To: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Re: On gratitude and free software
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 20:53:44 -0500	[thread overview]

Dennis Payne wrote:
> The resistance to GNU/Linux comes from the term being annoying to
> say/write.

Personal annoyance strikes me as no justification for not giving people a fair share
of the credit for their work.

> Lego insists that it is Lego bricks not Legos but people use the shorter one.
Either way, Lego gets credit for their work. That alone means that this request from
the Lego Group is not comparable to the reason behind what the GNU Project is asking for.

If I understand Lego Group's request correctly (such as the attached snapshot
ostensibly from someone who officially represents the Lego Group on Twitter which I
found on https://reddit.com/r/lego/comments/1jrr3z/lego_bricks_not_legos/ ), their
request is based in trying to avoid trademark dilution. Thus this matter is not at
all related to the GNU Project asking people to give them a share of the credit for
their work when people refer to a GNU system with the Linux kernel a GNU/Linux system.

> Also the blatant attempt to jump on the success of Linux annoyed people. Why
> didn't they argue this from day one?
On day one of the GNU system there was no Linux kernel to speak of. On day one of the
Linux kernel, Linux was largely unknown as it was just another personal project of
which there are too many to count. More importantly, not asking for a share of credit
"from day one" fails to state why GNU is somehow undeserving of any credit at all today.

See https://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#bsd for the GNU Project's response.

See https://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#many for the GNU Project's response.

> Interestingly most people do not refer to Android phones as Linux systems. While
> you might argue it is because they don't know it runs Linux. I think the
> knowledgeable don't because they understand that Linux encompasses the standard
> tools/UI which Android throws out.
Without agreeing with your assessment, just because the Linux kernel developers don't
ask for a share of the credit for their work doesn't make the GNU Project's request
incorrect, a bad idea, or somehow wrong.

I recommend reading https://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html and
https://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html in their entirety as it appears that your
questions have been answered there for years.

> Saying people who don't support Richard Stallman are ungrateful is
> flawed. I don't think I've ever heard a non-supporter say Richard
> Stallman did nothing. You can be grateful but also believe a person is
> flawed enough they should step back from public roles. Hollywood is
> probably the best example of people creating amazing content but the
> person behind has done bad things. Don't misunderstand and assume I'm
> equating Richard Stallman to some of the horrible people in Hollywood.
> I think it is perfectly reasonable to look past the controversies and
> say he is still a good representative for free software. I personally
> disagree but that is fine.

I'd hope that you could understand just how disproportionate Stallman's alleged
transgressions are in the context of the endless shunning campaign recommended to us
as some kind of justice for these alleged transgressions. There are very well-known
people who have never faced such an unfair, unjust, and due process-free shunning yet
have done bad or suspicious things for which we can point to public record for
account. They are still allowed to be invited to give talks and be a part of society
in all the ways in which we were told that we should disallow RMS. It's no accident
that at least a couple of these other figures (Linus Torvalds & Bill Gates) are firm
proponents of software non-freedom and RMS is probably the best known proponent of
software freedom. This entire smear campaign against RMS is easily and reasonably
seen as a means to change RMS' legacy to achieve other ends which do us no good such
as getting us to put aside software freedom and justify censoring anything to do with
RMS.