* Does VIA's x86 CPUs have non-free "ME"s?
@ 2017-08-21 15:30 Pen-Yuan Hsing
From: Pen-Yuan Hsing @ 2017-08-21 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Dear Libreplanet,

As we all know, a major problem with Intel (and AMD) x86 CPUs is that
they come with a proprietary "Management Engine (ME)" (or "Platform
Security Processor" for AMD) that is not only non-free but also with
demonstrated security holes.

I just recalled that VIA Technologies also have a line of x86 CPUs [1].
Do VIA CPUs also have the equivalent of the much-maligned ME? Or are VIA
CPUs more freedom-respecting? Would it help software freedom at all (or
not?) to use VIA CPUs instead? I'm curious!

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIA_Technologies#Processors

* Re: Does VIA's x86 CPUs have non-free "ME"s?
@ 2017-08-21 18:53 ` txt.file
From: txt.file @ 2017-08-21 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Even AMD and Intel had not always these „management“ engines. If you use
a cpu older than these techniques then you are probably safer.

According to libreboot[0] pre-2013 AMD cpus are not know to be vulnerable.

en.wikipedia[1] lists which Intel cpu has which version of Intel AMT.
First mentioned version is for an ethernet controller released Q2'05.

The latest VIA cpus have been released in May 2011. AMD had no
„management“ engine at this point in time. Intel had already a few
versions of their hard-/software. So I expect all public released VIA
cpus have _no_ such engine. But I have no proof.

kind regards
txt.file

[0] https://libreboot.org/faq.html#amd
[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Intel_AMT_versions&oldid=792147452

Pen-Yuan Hsing:

@ 2017-08-21 18:56   ` Pen-Yuan Hsing
From: Pen-Yuan Hsing @ 2017-08-21 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Thanks txt.file for the response including the links to more information
about AMD and Intel chips.

If anyone else knows whether VIA CPUs have software freedom concerns
please do tell!