From: Dmitry Alexandrov <321942@gmail.com>
To: Caleb Herbert <csh@bluehome.net>
Cc: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Samsung Galaxy S2 for Replicant (was: “Promote NoPhone” is a path to nowhere)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 17:38:14 +0300	[thread overview]

Caleb Herbert <csh@bluehome.net> wrote:
> On 09/16/2019 03:23 AM, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
>> Caleb Herbert <csh@bluehome.net> wrote:
>>> Most people cannot access or afford decent Replicant devices.
>>
>> No people can access or afford _decent_ Replicant devices: they are simply nonexistent.
>
> I consider the ancient Galaxy S2 decent.

A device without GPS and hardware graphic acceleration (unless you are willing to run nonfree software on CPU)?  Or even without Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (unless you are willing to run nonfree firmware)?

That’s not saying about its obsolescence, which involves not only quantitative downsides but qualitative too: such as absence of LTE modem.

>> A device, listed at https://replicant.us (which would _not_ fully work under it anyway), could be obtained very easily and for a laughable price, though.
>
> The price is expensive.  Scarcity of after-market devices still in good condition, combined with the price of paying someone to flash it

Replicant is not Libreboot, it does not require any flashing.  It is installed just like as any other Android-based OS.

> costs five hundred dollars last time I checked.

Wow!  That’s for sure a local issue.  I’ve just checked, in Moscow you could get a _new_ Galaxy S2 for 85 $ (which I still found unacceptably expensive for a 2011 Android phone, but if someone really needs it new), used — from 25 $.

So if you’d really like to recommend someone to buy Galaxy S2, I suggest you just submit to necessity to recommend him to run some more nonfree software in his browser, and order it somewhere else: at Ali a ‘refurbished’ device with shipping included would be about 40 $ [1].

[1] https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-samsuns-galaxy-s2.html