From: Thomas Lord <lord@basiscraft.com>
To: Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org>
Cc: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org,
	libreplanet-discuss
	<libreplanet-discuss-bounces+lord=basiscraft.com@libreplanet.org>
Subject: Re: federated free software movement
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 12:27:44 -0800	[thread overview]

I think the FSF should have gone in this direction a long
time ago.

I think it is a very good idea to add to what you described:

a. Distributed decentralized business models that are NOT
    "getting paid to program" or "getting paid to contribute
    to a software development project".

b. Those business models aimed at spreading the personal
    use of free software, and enjoyment of software freedom,
    by people who don't program or who don't identify
    as programmers

c. That includes both service and HW provisioning components.

d. These businesses should be designed to keep product prices
    low, to increase accessibility -- yet include enough of a
    human element to be hard to reproduce at large scale.

e. The businesses should achieve real economies of scale through ...
    federation.

Trivial boring example: Entry level desktops, preloaded, with
support -- and a federation of those businesses that cooperates
freely to maintain the shared distribution they use.

Of course, that kind of thing can be infinitely specialized -- e.g.
a federation of small businesses that provide DAWs (music production
and performance software).

The idea is to make enough money to live comfortably without
trying to hoard software, supporting a lifestyle of cooperating
on maintaining and extending that software freely.

-t