* gsm
@ 2020-08-12 16:41 Jan Stary
From: Jan Stary @ 2020-08-12 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Here is a branch that drops the internal gsm
and only supports gsm as an external format.
https://sourceforge.net/u/janstary/sox/ci/gsm/tree/

I also propose to drop the support for an external gsm altogether.
The format is supported by libsndfile, which is actively maintained,
as opposed to gsm implementations out there.

And I also propose to drop the internal lpc in the same way;
in fact, to drop LPC support altogether. Is anyone using it?

Then we would finally have no SUBDIRS.

	Jan

* Re: gsm
@ 2020-08-12 19:18 ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2020-08-12 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Stary; +Cc: sox-users

Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> writes:

> Here is a branch that drops the internal gsm
> and only supports gsm as an external format.
> https://sourceforge.net/u/janstary/sox/ci/gsm/tree/
>
> I also propose to drop the support for an external gsm altogether.
> The format is supported by libsndfile, which is actively maintained,
> as opposed to gsm implementations out there.

Libsndfile has its own copy of the same gsm library.  I don't think an
extra level of indirection will fix any bugs there, regardless of what
David Wheeler said.

> And I also propose to drop the internal lpc in the same way;
> in fact, to drop LPC support altogether. Is anyone using it?

Well, someone saw fit to add it.  That particular library seems to be
dead, and distro packages don't exist.  The decision isn't as simple as
for gsm.  Then again, the absence of packages suggest that nobody cares
about the format.  The Asterisk phone package includes a copy of the
same library, but that's all I can find.

Nonetheless, I don't want to rush ahead and remove features without due
warning.  It's not causing me any trouble, so I'm going to leave it for
now.

What I might do is disable some of the more obscure formats by default.
That way, any bugs in that code will only affect users who have actively
enabled them.

--
Måns Rullgård