From: Davis Remmel via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
To: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: The Imperative of Free Software
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 15:51:17 -0500	[thread overview]

Dear all,

I'm probably preaching to the choir, but I am really tired of the
ultra-wealthy.

They are a self-enriching plutocracy, and I mean that in the most
literal sense. I am not just throwing fancy words around. I mean: the
rich use their riches to woo and shoo ordinary folks to enriching them
even more by stoking fear and influencing the public's collective
actions through their control of mass media. Our entire country has been
captured by a legitimate plutocracy, a society ruled by the wealthiest,
which is fundamentally an existential threat to the mass' ability to
democratically govern ourselves.

I don't know how to fix the mess that's already been created, but I do
know that without free software, the masses are forever captive to their
wealthy overlords. The exchange of information and work, and therefore
the core of society, is totally controlled by the decisions of software.
That software and its control, today, is dominantly proprietary and
unaccountable.

Software control is social control. That it, too, was ever thought legal
that one could posses not only a billion dollars of wealth, but a
billion dollars of sole discretion, was the greatest swindle ever
pulled. The amplification of the wealthiest's messages through
proprietary technology, and their ability to censor, quell dissent, and
influence public opinion give them unthinkable power.

Today, the masses will get fucked by them. Tomorrow, the masses will get
fucked again, forgetting about today's. And this will repeat.

Some of the population, perhaps, even desire being controlled, and feel
comfortable and cradled, without worry. These people are authoritarians;
if not overt authoritarians, then submissive ones. And this behavior is
anti-social, anti-liberty, and contrary to American values.

And, I feel so horribly grossed that the wealthiest's schemes keep
working every goddamn day. I am _exhausted_ of living with the richest's
wooing and shooing, and my constitutional liberties, which I dearly
treasure and which legions of people died to leave me with, discarded
because nearly everyone else has been intentionally and subliminally
feared into authoritarian, corporate comfort. The masses don't have the
vocabulary or time to gaze at the power structures that control them, or
if they do then still be helpless and too socially weak to do anything
about it, until they finally reach their limit and either submit or bust.

Free software might be the only thing that can restore our republic's
democratic control. It's cheapness to copy, plus its ratcheting and
blanketing legal copyleft, catalyzes its propagation and crystalizes the
power of the people. The only way to break authoritarian manipulation is
to choose against using their tools and vocabulary, and to stand up for
what we know to be true, right, and just. Our fears cannot be
manipulated if we choose against consuming the programming of those who
stoke them. The decisions and future of our technological society can
only be free if we choose free software _now_.

Be well,
Davis