From: Davis Remmel via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
To: Abe Indoria <indoria@aindoria.com>
Cc: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Re: The Imperative of Free Software
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 16:27:41 -0500	[thread overview]

On 4/25/23 16:01, Abe Indoria wrote:
> I mean, even if I disagree about the whole wealth=evil equivalency,

I'm sorry that you thought I called the ultra-wealthy evil. I believe
their intentions might very well be noble, but when one or a few people
exercise control, that is undemocratic (today, being done mostly through
financial mechanisms), and this is a structure of society that I feel is
important to discuss because I believe society should be controlled by
the public, not the few or ones.

Free software is the best antidote to this control because it is the
only kind of software that legally resists capture by any individual.

It seems when the topic of social control is not discussed, the
situation gets worse. And, by virtue of the wealthy controlling today's
mass media, and especially them controlling proprietary online social
media and their ability to influence other kinds of small media (they
can even influence the fediverse by purchasing bots), some ideas aren't
ever heard, maybe just being drowned out in the noise, especially the
ideas that are critical of the establishment.

--
Davis