* Record different channels on 8 channel interface
@ 2020-08-04  5:56 Michael Cottle, (David)
From: Michael Cottle, (David) @ 2020-08-04  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Hi,

I’ve dabbled with SoX over the past 10 years, but now have a serious project I need help with.

I want to record multiple channels from a Scarlett 18i20 interface, as you would with, say, Logic Pro. I’ve looked at several manuals and examples, and I can’t decipher how it applies to my situation.

How would I record one stereo stream from, e.g., channels 1-2 of the Scarlett 18i20, then send another command to record (simultaneously) from channels 3-4 to a different file?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

(OS X, Catalina)

* Re: Record different channels on 8 channel interface
@ 2020-08-04  9:34 ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2020-08-04  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Cottle, (David); +Cc: sox-users

"Michael Cottle, (David)" <D.Cottle@utah.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I’ve dabbled with SoX over the past 10 years, but now have a serious project
> I need help with.
>
> I want to record multiple channels from a Scarlett 18i20 interface, as you
> would with, say, Logic Pro. I’ve looked at several manuals and examples, and
> I can’t decipher how it applies to my situation.
>
> How would I record one stereo stream from, e.g., channels 1-2 of the
> Scarlett 18i20, then send another command to record (simultaneously) from
> channels 3-4 to a different file?

SoX does not support recording to two files simultaneously.  Sorry.
The best you can do is record the channels you want to a single file and
split it later.  Use the 'remix' effect to select a subset of channels
to save.

--
Måns Rullgård