* convert wav to ogg twice produces diffrent binary files
@ 2017-10-14 16:16 Dennis Muratshin
From: Dennis Muratshin @ 2017-10-14 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

for example run these commands:

sox.exe src.wav dest1.ogg -G rate 44100
sox.exe src.wav dest2.ogg -G rate 44100

It will produce two files with small difference between them:
http://prntscr.com/gxdifd
Is there any way to avoid it?

* Re: convert wav to ogg twice produces diffrent binary files
@ 2017-10-15 18:52 ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2017-10-15 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Muratshin; +Cc: sox-users

Dennis Muratshin <frankinshtein85@gmail.com> writes:

> for example run these commands:
>
> sox.exe src.wav dest1.ogg -G rate 44100
> sox.exe src.wav dest2.ogg -G rate 44100
>
> It will produce two files with small difference between them:
> http://prntscr.com/gxdifd
> Is there any way to avoid it?

It could be due to dither.  Try the -R option to use a fixed seed for
the random number generator.

--
Måns Rullgård

* Re: convert wav to ogg twice produces diffrent binary files
@ 2017-10-15 20:44   ` Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users
From: Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users @ 2017-10-15 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On 2017-10-15 19:52, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Dennis Muratshin <frankinshtein85@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> for example run these commands:
>>
>> sox.exe src.wav dest1.ogg -G rate 44100
>> sox.exe src.wav dest2.ogg -G rate 44100
>>
>> It will produce two files with small difference between them:
>> http://prntscr.com/gxdifd
>> Is there any way to avoid it?
>
> It could be due to dither.  Try the -R option to use a fixed seed for
> the random number generator.

It's hard to tell from the screenshot how big the files are... but they
look as if they might be tiny.  The line 1 difference might I guess be
a date/time stamp, if the file format allows that.

Then ... do we have just one or two 'frames' (if that's an appropriate
term) of audio?  Might they also have a date/time stamp in them?

I'd have thought a dither difference would affect many bytes in the
audio
stream, but then again maybe that depends on what the audio in the file
actually is - silence, test tones, real music?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own

* Re: convert wav to ogg twice produces diffrent binary files
@ 2017-10-16 13:54   ` Dennis Muratshin
From: Dennis Muratshin @ 2017-10-16 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård; +Cc: sox-users

Thank you! '-R' option helped. Now files are identical:

sox -R src.wav dest1.ogg -G rate 44100