sox-devel@lists.sourceforge.net unofficial mirror
* Spectrogram lower/upper frequency limit: proposal
@ 2014-02-16 16:04 Joe Desbonnet
From: Joe Desbonnet @ 2014-02-16 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-devel

In connection with my modification of the spectrogram to plot frequency on
a log10 axis, I have a need to place (at least) a lower bound on the
frequency. Eg looking at music, anything <10Hz is of no use and wastes
chart space.  I also have noticed a few requests for a feature to limit the
plot to a subset of the available frequencies. So I intend to add this in
the coming days.

I'm not very familiar with the sox utility, so I'm asking what's the best
way of specifying the lower and upper frequencies consistent with the rest
of the utility? What I propose is to use just one command line switch, eg
-R lower-freq[:upper-freq]

For example
-R 10
meaning from 10Hz -> nyquist frequency

-R 100:12k
meaning 100Hz -> 12kHz

So to generate a chart of a music file looking at frequencies 100Hz - 10kHz
sox mymusic.mp3 -n spectrogram -L -R 100:10k

Does that seem ok?

Joe.