sox-devel@lists.sourceforge.net unofficial mirror
* Converting rf64 to Adobe Audition 3.0
@ 2015-08-16 15:34 Hans Kraus
From: Hans Kraus @ 2015-08-16 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-devel

Hi,

I'm currently recording with Audacity 2.1.0 in rf64 format for more
than 4 GB samples and using Audition 3.0 for declicking and denoising
it.

Audition 3.0 (as you may already know) has its own way to deal with
more than 4 GB samples, the header looks like:

RIFF
0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF
---------------------
fmt
0x10 0x00 0x00 0x00
0x0001
0x0002
0x00017700 = 96000
0x0008CA00 = 576000
0x0006
0x0018 = 24
---------------------
data
0xFFFED210 = 42994890000

As far as I understand the 0xFFFFFFFF as file length is the marker for
the extended format which consists of consecutive data chunks with a
length of 0xFFFED210 each, the last one possibly shorter.

I'd like to implement that in SoX. Are there any hints/tips for me?

Kind regards, Hans

PS: I asked a similar question on the SoX users list, but didn't get
an answer.

* Re: Converting rf64 to Adobe Audition 3.0
@ 2015-08-16 23:52 ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2015-08-16 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Kraus; +Cc: sox-devel

Hans Kraus <hans@hanswkraus.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently recording with Audacity 2.1.0 in rf64 format for more
> than 4 GB samples and using Audition 3.0 for declicking and denoising
> it.
>
> Audition 3.0 (as you may already know) has its own way to deal with
> more than 4 GB samples, the header looks like:
>
> RIFF
> 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF
> ---------------------
> fmt
> 0x10 0x00 0x00 0x00
> 0x0001
> 0x0002
> 0x00017700 = 96000
> 0x0008CA00 = 576000
> 0x0006
> 0x0018 = 24
> ---------------------
> data
> 0xFFFED210 = 42994890000
>
> As far as I understand the 0xFFFFFFFF as file length is the marker for
> the extended format which consists of consecutive data chunks with a
> length of 0xFFFED210 each, the last one possibly shorter.

Is the only difference from regular RIFF/WAVE format the presence of
multiple 'data' chunks with the total size give as 0xffffffff?

> I'd like to implement that in SoX. Are there any hints/tips for me?

That shouldn't be too hard.  Look at the write_samples() function in
wav.c.  When writing PCM, you end up in the 'default' case of the switch
statement:

            len = lsx_rawwrite(ft, buf, len);
            wav->numSamples += (len/ft->signal.channels);

Here you can add a check to insert a new data chunk header whenever
necessary.  You also need to modify wavwritehdr() to be aware of this.

> PS: I asked a similar question on the SoX users list, but didn't get
> an answer.

Neither of the lists seem very active of late.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans@mansr.com

* Re: Converting rf64 to Adobe Audition 3.0
@ 2015-08-17 17:01   ` Hans Kraus
From: Hans Kraus @ 2015-08-17 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård; +Cc: sox-devel

Hi Måns Rullgård,

thanks a lot for your help.

Am 17.08.2015 um 01:52 schrieb Måns Rullgård:
> [...]
>> As far as I understand the 0xFFFFFFFF as file length is the marker for
>> the extended format which consists of consecutive data chunks with a
>> length of 0xFFFED210 each, the last one possibly shorter.
>
> Is the only difference from regular RIFF/WAVE format the presence of
> multiple 'data' chunks with the total size give as 0xffffffff?

As far as I know yes. I did read that somewhere on the net but I can't
find that link anymore.

The header is a dump from a real file.

 >> [...]

Kind regards,