* Good gigabit Wi-Fi mesh network systems that are open source
@ 2018-01-09 17:37 Aaron E-J
From: Aaron E-J @ 2018-01-09 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

Does anyone know of any gigabit Wi-Fi mesh network systems that are open
source or generally know of good gigabit Wi-Fi systems?  There are a
group of people in Pioneer Valley area of western Massachusetts that are
looking into setting up a community run internet provider and we want to
see whether Wi-Fi is a feasible way to rollout an internet service that
can be relied on by businesses, social services, and governmental
users.  Thanks!

--
Aaron E-J
The Other Realm LLC

* Re: Good gigabit Wi-Fi mesh network systems that are open source
@ 2018-01-09 18:56 ` George Klissiaris
From: George Klissiaris @ 2018-01-09 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron E-J; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss

Have a look at the following:

   - https://libremesh.org/
   - https://lede-project.org/
   - https://openwrt.org/
   - https://www.commotionwireless.net/
   - http://www.qmp.cat/Home
   - http://openwisp.org/
   - https://www.openmesh.com/

Open source hardware:

   - https://librerouter.org/
   - http://www.koruza.net/

As of hardware and closed source but very reliable and cheap solutions have
a look at the following:

   - https://www.ubnt.com/
   - https://www.mikrotik.com/
   - https://unifi-mesh.ubnt.com/

In our wireless community network we are using Ubiquity hardware (AirFiber)
for the wireless P2P links with AirOS, Mikrotik hardware for the routing
and Unifi Mesh APs for user' access to the our common network. In the past
with have used openmesh devices and we are also planning to experiment with
librerouter hardware and libremesh software in the future.

George

@ 2018-01-09 19:05   ` Aaron E-J
From: Aaron E-J @ 2018-01-09 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Klissiaris; +Cc: internet-for-all@lists.riseup.net, libreplanet-discuss

Thanks!  This looks really useful.

On 2018-01-09 1:56 PM, George Klissiaris wrote:
> Have a look at the following:
>
>   * https://libremesh.org/
>   * https://lede-project.org/
>   * https://openwrt.org/
>   * https://www.commotionwireless.net/
>   * http://www.qmp.cat/Home
>   * http://openwisp.org/
>   * https://www.openmesh.com/
>
> Open source hardware:
>
>   * https://librerouter.org/
>   * http://www.koruza.net/
>
> As of hardware and closed source but very reliable and cheap solutions
> have a look at the following:
>
>   * https://www.ubnt.com/
>   * https://www.mikrotik.com/
>   * https://unifi-mesh.ubnt.com/
>
> In our wireless community network we are using Ubiquity hardware
> (AirFiber) for the wireless P2P links with AirOS, Mikrotik hardware
> for the routing and Unifi Mesh APs for user' access to the our common
> network. In the past with have used openmesh devices and we are also
> planning to experiment with librerouter hardware and libremesh
> software in the future.
>
> George

> <mailto:the@otherrealm.org>>:
>
>     Does anyone know of any gigabit Wi-Fi mesh network systems that
>     are open
>     source or generally know of good gigabit Wi-Fi systems?  There are a
>     group of people in Pioneer Valley area of western Massachusetts
>     that are
>     looking into setting up a community run internet provider and we
>     want to
>     see whether Wi-Fi is a feasible way to rollout an internet service
>     that
>     can be relied on by businesses, social services, and governmental
>     users.  Thanks!
>
>     --
>     Aaron E-J
>     The Other Realm LLC
>     http://otherrealm.org
>     http://theotherrealm.org (Blog)

* Re: [Internet-For-All] Good gigabit Wi-Fi mesh network systems that are open source
@ 2018-01-09 21:38     ` Thomas Grzybowski
From: Thomas Grzybowski @ 2018-01-09 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: internet-for-all@lists.riseup.net
  Cc: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org, George Klissiaris

Yes!  This is the kind of info that is really very useful - what is available and what has worked!

"In our wireless community network we are using Ubiquity hardware (AirFiber) for the wireless P2P links with AirOS, Mikrotik hardware for the routing and Unifi Mesh APs for user' access to the our common network. In the past with have used openmesh devices and we are also planning to experiment with librerouter hardware and libremesh software in the future."

Tom