From: Valentino Giudice <valentino.giudice96@gmail.com>
To: Michael McMahon <michael@fsf.org>
Cc: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Re: Minds.com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 01:27:01 +0200	[thread overview]

Thank you a lot, Michael, this is quite interesting and something that I
should investigate further.
Indeed the "friendly-challenge" package uses "friendly-pow", which is no
good: https://github.com/FriendlyCaptcha/friendly-challenge/issues/159

I still think that Minds can be of significant interest for the FSF and the
free software community at large.

> Never heard of minds

First, I should mention that I have absolutely no affiliation with them
beyond merely having an account on their website.

Minds is a social media platform based in the United States which has
rather liberal policies compared to mainstream platforms such as Facebook
or X.

As I mentioned above, it's free software (although, now we know,
encumbered by the FriendlyCaptcha proprietary component). It uses the AGPL
license.

It attempts at decentralizing, but its attempts are IMHO mostly
unsuccessful.

However, as a centralized platform, I think it aligns with the principles
of the free software community (including freedom of speech and
transparency, beyond just software freedom) more so than other platforms,
including also X, which the FSF currently uses.

I still think that Minds has some significant shortcomings, which we can
help it overcome.
This includes the CAPTCHA test, which can be replaced with a similar
fully-free one, the fact that it doesn't currently comply with the text of
the GDPR (which doesn't mean it's bad for privacy, but does mean it's a
problem in the EU).
In some ways it's better than the Mastodon ecosystem because most Mastodon
instances are small and unreliable and have rules that are restrictive
beyond necessary.