* Job opportunity: Humane Innovation Lead for Center for Humane Technology
@ 2022-06-03 13:21 Paul D. Fernhout
From: Paul D. Fernhout @ 2022-06-03 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org

This is a job opportunity I just saw today at the Center for Humane
Technology that is tangentially related to many of the same goals of
creating LibrePlanet that works well for everyone (even if it is not an
exact match):
https://www.humanetech.com/careers-humane-innovation-lead
"CHT's mission is to catalyze a humane future. We reframe the insidious
effects of persuasive technology, expose the runaway systems beneath,
and deepen the capacity of leaders across sectors and global
decision-makers to take wise action. In 2020, CHT was thrilled to
support the development and release of The Social Dilemma, the acclaimed
Netflix documentary directed by Jeff Orlowski-Yang on the existential
threats posed by social media, reaching an estimated 100 million viewers
worldwide.
   This product management role is for someone who cares deeply about
making a difference in tomorrow’s technology products. Our online
course, Foundations of Humane Technology, is a significant strategic
opportunity to engage with a growing ecosystem of humane technologists
to drive cultural change throughout the industry. The course equips a
growing movement with core principles, frameworks, and practices in
humane technology. Thousands of people are already enrolled, with orders
of magnitude more coming, and interest from a wide range of partners
across technology, policy, investment, media, and more.
   Reporting to CHT Co-Founder Randima Fernando and working in close
collaboration, our Humane Innovation Lead will own day-to-day
responsibility for our course and its community. This includes course
content and user experience, packaging for different audiences
(including workshops), marketing, public presentations, and supporting
our global community. ..."

More on CHT:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Humane_Technology
"The Center for Humane Technology (formerly known as Time Well Spent) is
a nonprofit organization dedicated to radically reimagining the digital
infrastructure. Its mission is to drive a comprehensive shift toward
humane technology that supports the collective well-being, democracy and
shared information environment. CHT has diagnosed the systemic harms of
the attention economy, which it says include internet addiction, mental
health issues, political extremism, political polarization, and
misinformation. Founded in 2013, the organization gained greater renown
after its involvement in the Netflix original documentary The Social
Dilemma, which examined how social media companies profit off of
political polarization and the spread of conspiracy theories, while also
causing psychological and emotional harm to users. "

I have no connection to CHT other than admiring what they seem to aspire
to do, being on their announcement mailing list, and also just signing
up for the free-as-in-beer course they have:
"Foundations of Humane Technology"
https://www.humanetech.com/course
"To build technology that matters tomorrow, we have to start with
different principles today. This self-paced online course prepares
product teams to create technology that treats attention and intention
as sacred, protects well-being, and builds our collective capacity to
address humanity’s most urgent challenges."

Anyway, posting this in hopes that some people here may want to help
improve that course and the related project using LibrePlanet ideals
such as:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Mission_Statement
"Free software is paramount for a free society. As computers play
increasingly integral roles in more and more aspects of our lives, the
role of software freedom in guaranteeing our general freedom grows in
parallel. The software which runs on our computers defines how we
experience and interact with the world, so we must ensure that we have
the freedom and control to determine how we connect and communicate with
each another. Otherwise, we make our autonomy contingent on the people
and corporations who own software."

--Paul Fernhout (pdfernhout.net)
"The biggest challenge of the 21st century is the irony of technologies
of abundance in the hands of those still thinking in terms of scarcity."

* Re: Job opportunity: Humane Innovation Lead for Center for Humane Technology
@ 2022-06-03 23:28 ` Danny Spitzberg
From: Danny Spitzberg @ 2022-06-03 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. Fernhout; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org