From: Mike Gerwitz <mtg@gnu.org>
To: Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net>
Cc: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Re: Adding [A]GPLv3+ code to Quake-based code base
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 01:10:25 -0400	[thread overview]

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 21:48:03 -0700, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> What do you mean "only if modifications are made"?
> Can you cite the part of the license you read that way?

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-affero-gpl.html

  "It has one added requirement: if you run a __modified__ program on a
  server and let other users communicate with it there, your server must
  also allow them to download the source code corresponding to the
  modified version running there." (emphasis mine)

That page did not include "modified" some time ago (>1y); I brought it
to rms' attention out of confusion, and he corrected it.

As far as the actual license goes:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl.html

  "The GNU Affero General Public License is designed specifically to
  ensure that, in such cases, the modified source code becomes available
  to the community. It requires the operator of a network server to
  provide the source code of the modified version running there to the
  users of that server. Therefore, public use of a modified version, on
  a publicly accessible server, gives the public access to the source
  code of the modified version."

Section 13:

  "Notwithstanding any other provision of this License, if you modify
  the Program, your modified version must prominently offer all users
  interacting with it remotely through a computer network (if your
  version supports such interaction) an opportunity to receive the
  Corresponding Source of your version by providing access to the
  Corresponding Source from a network server at no charge [...]"

> I certainly had the impression that, just like the GPL, the AGPL
> required making the source available whenever conveying, regardless of
> modified status.

I had that impression too, a while back.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer