From: Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
To: Abe Indoria <indoria@aindoria.com>
Cc: Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss
	<libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
Subject: Re: Solutions to help organisations mirror their antisocial media posts to mastodon?
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:22:09 +0000	[thread overview]

On 26/12/2023 23:16, Abe Indoria wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 26, 2023, 2:55 PM Yuchen Pei <id@ypei.org> wrote:
>

>     Not really. There are plenty of people with reasonable things to
>     say on xitter who for whatever reason stayed there.
>

> Amusingly, when I was setting up a firefish instance for activitypub,
> I took a look at mastodon.social (to see if I wanted to federate with
> it or follow anyone there), their 'default-go-to' recommended
> instance, and found absurdly similar level of toxicity there too.
> Politician this that, Person this that etc. A ton of boosted comments
> were fairly similar to what you'd find on say, X as constant
> 'anger-engagements.'
>
> So I wholeheartedly agree. There are people on X that focus on what
> they do best and are really good accounts (Depths of Wikipedia for
> example), and similar on many ActivityPub instances. It's just a very
> YMMV at this moment.
>
> abe

I agree with this,  I would guess the main point we can try and push
with the Fediverse is the ability to not simply block users but due to
the centralized nature,  we can as users block whole instances.

I think the reason mastodon.social is a hub for so much activity is that
for a while it was pushed as the instance to go to, possibly in an
attempted to help people who find it difficult to grasp the idea of
instances and you can choose which  instance to be on,  This is
understandable as it is a different model to what people are used to,
and most beginner IT courses probably make little mention of federated
services.

paul

,