* libreboot workshop at libreplanet 2018
@ 2018-03-21  1:31 Leah Rowe
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-03-21  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Sullivan
  Cc: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic,
	libreplanet-discuss

Hi everyone,

The FSF isn't officially hosting a libreboot workshop at libreplanet
this year.

I'm proposing to set up an unofficial workshop at LibrePlanet 2018, so
that people at the conference can get their libreboot-supported
systems flashed. I myself (Leah Rowe, founder of libreboot) will not
be physically attending, unfortunately, but I do know that there are
others who would be willing to do this. I've already spoken to several
people on #libreboot IRC: sensiblemn (Kurt from Technoethical) is
willing. zyliwax is willing. I'm also CC'ing libiquity and
technoethical, asking them to take part.

obviously, any FSF staff e.g. sysadmins who want to take part and help
out, are more than welcome to. e.g. the staff at FSF who know how to
flash SPI chips, for libreboot installation

If anyone else on this list who is attending the conference wishes to
take part, please reply with your details including what equipment you
can bring.

We ideally need at least 2-3 people with SPI flashers.
If we can get at least a few people to commit to providing flashing
services, then I'll issue a pull request to get a news post published
on libreboot.org, announcing the unofficial libreboot installation
workshop. The news post will mention the names of all the people who
will be doing the installations.

Please confirm via reply on this list, if you're willing to commit to
this.

If someone wants their laptop flashed, they find one of those people
listed in the news post. Although the FSF isn't providing a room
dedicated to this, there are plenty of benches to sit down on at the
conference. There's also the speakers lounge, which usually has seats
available (and power sockets, and chairs, and tables) - doesn't matter
if you're not a speaker, go into there anyway and sit down with the
person, and flash their laptop on one of the tables in there. Then
there's the FSF office, in case the person wants to get their laptop
flashed there (E.g. a day or so before the conference); they have a
conference room. if it's empty, you could go in there. the FSF has an
open door policy

Kurt is also hosting a technoethical booth at libreplanet. You could
go there and have this person flash your laptop with libreboot. As
confirmed on IRC, this person has told me that they're bringing their
BBB and other equipment.

If anyone who knows how to use an SPI flasher to flash libreboot
(doesn't matter which flasher you use), who is going to the
conference, I'd be very grateful if you could offer your services to
flash libreboot for people there.

Equipment I can think of at the top of my head.

1) Set up the SPI flasher so that it's portable (USB powered, 3v3
supplied by the SPI flasher itself, not an external PSU) - SSH into
the flasher via ethernet cable or USB cable connected to your laptop.
Portable flashing setup. make sure it works etc. bring spare wires
just in case. make sure you've got soic-8 and soic-16 - to save time,
if you can, bring 2 SPI flashers, one with soic-8 one with soic-16
(less time messing about re-wiring between different laptops)

see guides on libreboot.org for setting up RPi or BBB. but any SPI
flasher will do. if you've got another setup, fine

make sure you have the entire ROM set from Libreboot 20160907 on the
flasher, ready to go. Since this conference in in the united states,
you should probably set up the ones with the US Qwerty layout in GRUB.
the ROM images in libreboot named *usqwerty*.rom

NOTE: if it's an X200 you're flashing, make sure to use the
workaround-mx patch in flashrom, for macronix chips. otherwise
flashing won't work.
see:
https://notabug.org/consts/libreboot/raw/2caaac00972d9ea56b0fcd7c95897e9
0283b05b8/projects/flashrom/patches/0005-Workaround-MX25-reliable-operat
ion.patch

patch is also in libreboot.git. apply that to flashrom src and build
that. for macronix chip on x200 (only x200. t400 dosen't need it) use
- --workaround-mx option in flashrom. tested on BBB and RPi

2) Screwdrivers

3) NOTE: optional -> soldering equipment, for X200T/X200S flashing
(including hot air gun etc, and soic8 spi chips)
- -> Kurt from technoethical tells me they're bringing soldering stuff
with them

Also the FSF has soldering equipment, which they could possibly lend
to people doing X200T flashing (X200T/X200S needs soldering to flash
it, unlike X200).

4) thermal paste and thermal paste cleaning material, and wipes etc ->
for T400 flashing. requires removing the heatsink

5) I doubt anyone will have D8/D16 to flash, so tools for flashing
DIP8 spi chips probably aren't required. most people wanting to be
flashed will have laptops

- -> you could maybe take DIP8 chips with libreboot on them with you,
just in case, for kcma-d8 and kgpe-d16, then the person just puts that
in their d8/d16 when they get home. in fact that seems more logical to
me. also plcc32 lpc chips (1mb) with libreboot, for asus kfsn4-dre

6) ditto on 5, regarding plcc32 lpc flash (asus kfsn4-dre)

5 and 6 are most likely moot/optional though.

- --
Leah Rowe

Libreboot developer and project founder.

Use free software. Free as in freedom.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Use a free BIOS - https://libreboot.org/
Use a free operating system, GNU+Linux.

Support computer user freedom
https://fsf.org/ - https://gnu.org/

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom | Registered in England,
No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462
Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK |
Web: https://minifree.org/

* Re: libreboot workshop at libreplanet 2018
@ 2018-03-21  2:25 ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-03-21  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss
  Cc: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic

i accidentally included libreplanet-discuss in CC in my first post. so
when you reply, make sure to hit "reply all" in your mail client.
otherwise it will go to John Sullivan instead of to this list

@ 2018-03-21  3:01 ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2018-03-21  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Rowe
  Cc: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic,
	libreplanet-discuss

I think this is great, a couple notes to help:

1) Confirmed that even though we couldn't get dedicated space, there are
indeed many tables and chairs/benches in the common areas at the
conference, which AFAICT could be used for flashing during the days on
Saturday and Sunday.

2) The FSF office space and the speaker/volunteer/staff lounge at MIT
are unfortunately already oversubscribed before and during the
conference and won't be good for this generally. *But* Saturday night at
the FSF office would be an ideal location (designated on the schedule as
an alcohol-free social and hacking time from 19:00 to 21:30).

I hope to see a lot of librebooting!

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
https://status.fsf.org/johns | https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<https://my.fsf.org/join>.

* Re: libreboot workshop at libreplanet 2018
@ 2018-03-21  4:38   ` Pradhan Rishi Sharma
From: Pradhan Rishi Sharma @ 2018-03-21  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Sullivan
  Cc: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic,
	Leah Rowe, libreplanet-discuss

I agree with John's suggestions, and I'd like to add one thing to second
point here

>The FSF office space and the speaker/volunteer/staff lounge at MIT
>are unfortunately already oversubscribed before and during the
>conference and won't be good for this generally. *But* Saturday night at
>the FSF office would be an ideal location (designated on the schedule as
>an alcohol-free social and hacking time from 19:00 to 21:30).

Can one person write notes of ideas discussed in social interaction and
post for us to read.

@ 2018-03-21 11:13   ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-03-21 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Sullivan
  Cc: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic,
	libreplanet-discuss

* Re: libreboot workshop at libreplanet 2018
@ 2018-03-21 12:18     ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-03-21 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Sullivan
  Cc: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic,
	libreplanet-discuss

https://notabug.org/libreboot/libreboot/src/a7abf64d82a18ce4c33293a5c532
9a046afcb2d2/www/news/libreplanet2018-workshop.md

not merged on the site yet, but I've asked Andrew Robbins or Swift
Geek on #libreboot IRC to merge it.

On 21/03/18 11:13, Leah Rowe wrote:
> ok i'm issuing a news post as pull request on libreboot.org now.
>
> Now that I have John's approval, I definitely feel confident about
> this.
>
> On 21/03/18 03:01, John Sullivan wrote:
>> I think this is great, a couple notes to help:
>
>> 1) Confirmed that even though we couldn't get dedicated space,
>> there are indeed many tables and chairs/benches in the common
>> areas at the conference, which AFAICT could be used for flashing
>> during the days on Saturday and Sunday.
>
>> 2) The FSF office space and the speaker/volunteer/staff lounge
>> at MIT are unfortunately already oversubscribed before and during
>> the conference and won't be good for this generally. *But*
>> Saturday night at the FSF office would be an ideal location
>> (designated on the schedule as an alcohol-free social and hacking
>> time from 19:00 to 21:30).
>
>> I hope to see a lot of librebooting!
>
>> -john

- --

@ 2018-03-21 17:14   ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-03-21 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss
  Cc: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic

* Re: libreboot workshop at libreplanet 2018
@ 2018-03-21 19:12     ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2018-03-21 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Rowe
  Cc: Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott, Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic,
	libreplanet-discuss

Leah Rowe <info@gluglug.org.uk> writes:

> We now have an official news post about the libreboot installation
> workshop at LibrePlanet:
>
> https://libreboot.org/news/libreplanet2018-workshop.html

Note that we will *not* be able to accommodate flashing in the room at
the conference that is assigned to conference volunteers, speakers, and
FSF staff. This room is already oversubscribed, as is the FSF office
space before the conference.

Flashing can be done in the common space we have reserved at MIT outside
of the talk rooms (subject to the university's discretion of course --
we are not ultimately in charge of the space), and at the FSF office on
Saturday evening during the scheduled hacking/social hours.

Sorry we are not able to provide more space / opportunities for this; we
had more difficulties this year securing space than in recent previous
years.

I do think between the common area (which is quite large) and the
Saturday night session, a lot of flashing can get done!

@ 2018-03-22  0:16 Arthur Torrey
From: Arthur Torrey @ 2018-03-22  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info, johns, libreplanet-discuss, tiberiu, pj

I am delighted to hear this - I had actually asked about this very thing earlier in the week and had been told it wasn't happening this year, glad that it is going to happen informally at least...

I have at least two laptops that can be reflashed as far as I can tell from the coreboot site...  Possibly more, will bring the collection and see what can be done and what can't...

Definite? Thinkpad T400 and T500
Maybe - Thinkpad T61 and SL500
Less likely, but perhaps - A Dell laptop of about the same age, not sure of model offhand
Unlikely but - Dell "Inspiron Mini" and MSI "Wind Notebook" - both are ~2008 vintage, use Atom CPUs...

None of the systems are currently backed up, but I have 4 spare 3.5" hard drives.

PSU's as needed.

I do regrettably need to keep one machine able to boot a fairly recent version of that evil proprietary OS as there is some stuff I must be able to run that has no GNU/Linux alternative....

ART
------------------
Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>
-------------------
Message: 3
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 01:31:44 +0000
From: Leah Rowe <info@gluglug.org.uk>
To: John Sullivan <johns@fsf.org>
Cc: libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>,
Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic <tiberiu@tehnoetic.com>, "Patrick 'P. J.'
McDermott" <pj@pehjota.net>
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] libreboot workshop at libreplanet 2018

[...]

<SNIP>

* Re: libreboot workshop at libreplanet 2018
@ 2018-03-22 10:40 ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-03-22 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Torrey, johns, libreplanet-discuss, tiberiu, pj

Hi Arthur,

On 22/03/18 00:16, Arthur Torrey wrote:
> I am delighted to hear this - I had actually asked about this very
> thing earlier in the week and had been told it wasn't happening
> this year, glad that it is going to happen informally at least...
>
> I have at least two laptops that can be reflashed as far as I can
> tell from the coreboot site...  Possibly more, will bring the
> collection and see what can be done and what can't...
>
> Definite? Thinkpad T400 and T500

Both libreboot-compatible.

> Maybe - Thinkpad T61 and SL500

T61's northbridge isn't supported in coreboot.
Not sure about sl500; doesn't seem to be listed in coreboot under
src/mainboard/lenovo/ so probably not supported.

> Less likely, but perhaps - A Dell laptop of about the same age, not
> sure of model offhand

leah@minifree:~/coreboot$ ls src/mainboard/dell
ls: cannot access 'src/mainboard/dell': No such file or directory

So your Dell laptop isn't supported by either coreboot or libreboot.

I would suggest that you only bring your T400 and T500.

- --

@ 2018-03-22 11:11   ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-03-22 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Torrey, johns, libreplanet-discuss, tiberiu, pj

oh!

btw, although the T61 mainboard is incompatible with
coreboot/libreboot, you *could* bring a T60 mainboard with you (make
sure it has an Intel GPU, not ATI).

You can fit a T60 mainboard into the T61 chassis, and then flash
libreboot. If you can find a local dealer on ebay/craigslist and go
pay them cash or something and get that done before you head out to
Boston, then you could also bring that along with your T400 and T500

@ 2018-03-22 12:23     ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-03-22 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Torrey, johns, libreplanet-discuss, tiberiu, pj

* Re: libreboot workshop at libreplanet 2018
@ 2018-03-22 14:35       ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-03-22 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Torrey, johns, libreplanet-discuss, tiberiu, pj

also could you make reference to it in the opening keynote at the
conference?

basically tell people to either go to the technoethical booth to get
flashed, if they have a laptop with them that is libreboot compatible.
or tell them to go to zyliwax. if FSF sysadmins can help out with
flashing too (using FSF flashing equipment), that would be great

I'm grateful for any help that the FSF can provide on this

On 22/03/18 12:23, Leah Rowe wrote:
> John,
>
> Could you add a note about the unofficial workshop we're doing,
> and put the note somewhere on the Libreboot site?
>
> e.g. on https://libreplanet.org/2018/program/ and
> https://libreplanet.org/2018/social/
>
> Just a note somewhere, linking to our news post on libreboot.org.
> I'd like to inform as many people as possible about this workshop

- --

@ 2018-03-22 15:11       ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2018-03-22 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Rowe; +Cc: pj, Arthur Torrey, tiberiu, libreplanet-discuss

We'll do our best to promote it at all opportunities, but at this late
stage, everyone who updates the sites is very swamped -- one thing that
would be helpful that anyone could do is add mention of it to the wiki
somewhere under
<https://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Conference/2018>.

@ 2018-03-22 17:02 ` Patrick McDermott
From: Patrick McDermott @ 2018-03-22 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leah Rowe; +Cc: Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic, libreplanet-discuss

On 2018-03-21 at 01:31, Leah Rowe wrote:
> Please confirm via reply on this list, if you're willing to commit to
> this.

I'll be at the conference, and I've packed some equipment.

Look for me [1] in a gray Libiquity polo shirt.

[1]: http://www.libiquity.com/media/images/patrick-mcdermott.jpg

> 1) Set up the SPI flasher so that it's portable (USB powered, 3v3
> supplied by the SPI flasher itself, not an external PSU) - SSH into
> the flasher via ethernet cable or USB cable connected to your laptop.
> Portable flashing setup. make sure it works etc. bring spare wires
> just in case. make sure you've got soic-8 and soic-16 - to save time,
> if you can, bring 2 SPI flashers, one with soic-8 one with soic-16
> (less time messing about re-wiring between different laptops)

I keep my clips wired to female stackable headers, so I can retool
between the SOIC-8 and SOIC-16 clips by just swapping headers on the
BBB's P9 connector.

Spare clips are also good to have.  Even on the Pomona clips, the glue
holding the contacts in the housing can get old and allow the contacts
to slide up or, worse, pop out.

> 4) thermal paste and thermal paste cleaning material, and wipes etc ->
> for T400 flashing. requires removing the heatsink

I would recommend to anyone bringing T400, T500, etc. laptops that you
disassemble them in advance and just bring the mainboard, if possible.
It helps to speed up the flashing.  There are disassembly instructions
in the libreboot documentation, as well as other places like Lenovo's
Hardware Maintenance Manuals.

> 5) I doubt anyone will have D8/D16 to flash, so tools for flashing
> DIP8 spi chips probably aren't required. most people wanting to be
> flashed will have laptops
>
> - -> you could maybe take DIP8 chips with libreboot on them with you,
> just in case, for kcma-d8 and kgpe-d16, then the person just puts that
> in their d8/d16 when they get home. in fact that seems more logical to
> me. also plcc32 lpc chips (1mb) with libreboot, for asus kfsn4-dre

I'm bringing a CH341A-based programmer as well, so I'll be able to flash
existing DIP-8 chips in the ZIF socket.  Anyone with KCMA-D8 and
KGPE-D16 boards can see me.

--
Patrick McDermott, CEO
Libiquity

* Re: libreboot workshop at libreplanet 2018
@ 2018-03-22 17:59         ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-03-22 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Sullivan; +Cc: pj, Arthur Torrey, tiberiu, libreplanet-discuss

* Re: libreboot workshop at libreplanet 2018
@ 2018-03-24 11:20   ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-03-24 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick McDermott; +Cc: Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic, libreplanet-discuss

* Re: libreboot workshop at libreplanet 2018
@ 2018-03-24 11:31   ` Leah Rowe
From: Leah Rowe @ 2018-03-24 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick McDermott; +Cc: Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic, libreplanet-discuss

* Re: libreboot workshop at libreplanet 2018
@ 2018-03-27  4:10 Arthur Torrey
From: Arthur Torrey @ 2018-03-27  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info, libreplanet-discuss

Many thanks to all that helped me over the course of the conference to get two of my laptops flashed w/ Libreboot - a T400 and a T500...  I still need to install an O/S on them, but they both boot up into Grub as expected.  (Right now I'm working through several days backlog of e-mails...)

It was also educational in that this was the first time I'd done a really complete teardown of a laptop, so I now have a much better idea about just what is inside at least these machines, and how they go together.

As far as I know, I'm the only person that actually got laptops flashed AT the conference, but I know we had lots of conversations on Sunday while working on putting them back together, so hopefully it will inspire more folks to look into flashing their hardware.

ART