* Re: FSF has begun a search for a new president
@ 2019-09-20 20:29     ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2019-09-20 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

"J.B. Nicholson" <jbn@forestfield.org> wrote:
> 2. the FSF has begun a search for a new president. (per https://www.fsf.org/news/richard-m-stallman-resigns),

> It would be a shame if the FSF made a compromise where they favored sating a desire for identity politics…
> I hope they'll pick someone who is deeply informed about free software, and who possesses a sharp, critical stance in defense of software freedom.

As far as I am aware, for the years of Dr. Stallman’s presidency, that position was a full-time occupation with a salary of round 0 (zero) dollars per month (or per year, I am not sure :-).

Where should they search for a person of that kind to fill such a vacancy, I wonder.  Or is this practice subject to change?

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: FSF has begun a search for a new president
       [not found] <170522099.7161081.1569029836672.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2019-09-21  1:37 ` Lori Nagel via libreplanet-discuss
From: Lori Nagel via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-21  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreplanet-discuss

RMS did get paid for making speeches, even though he didn't get a president's salary.  I could easily imagine someone doing it for free.  People will do anything for fame and notoriety, as long as money is coming from somewhere else to pay for that person's living expenses.

   [2]https://www.fsf.org/news/richard-m-stallman-resigns),
   > It would be a shame if the FSF made a compromise where they favored
   sating a desire for identity politics…
   > I hope they'll pick someone who is deeply informed about free
   software, and who possesses a sharp, critical stance in defense of
   software freedom.
   As far as I am aware, for the years of Dr. Stallman’s presidency, that
   position was a full-time occupation with a salary of round 0 (zero)
   dollars per month (or per year, I am not sure :-).
   Where should they search for a person of that kind to fill such a
   vacancy, I wonder.  Or is this practice subject to change?

References

   1. mailto:jbn@forestfield.org
   2. https://www.fsf.org/news/richard-m-stallman-resigns
   3. mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org

* Re: FSF has begun a search for a new president
@ 2019-09-21 22:36       ` Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss
From: Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss @ 2019-09-21 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov; +Cc: libreplanet-discuss