From: Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
To: Dennis Payne <dulsi@identicalsoftware.com>,
	libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Re: Global Game Jam
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 16:22:27 +0000	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1.1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3703 bytes --]

On 01/01/2022 14:52, Dennis Payne wrote:
> I mentioned on the FreeGameDev site that the game jam portion of
> Liberated Pixel Cup was not a success and someone disagreed with me.
> The problem was we had different definitions of success. I want games
> that I can still play now and perhaps even see improvements. He looks
> at it as they produced some interesting games.
>
> You can see the same with the global game jam. It has produced
> thousands of games. But I can't say I've played any of them. I'm sure
> there are some great games in there but I don't know any that have
> risen out of it.
>
> As a game developer, I like game jams. I think a game jam associated
> with LibrePlanet and have a session dedicated to showing off the games
> would be fun. With two kids I've found it hard to participate in many
> jams but I would like to do more. If one person plays my game and likes
> it that a win for me (and that one person may even be me).
>
> I just don't see a game jam significantly increasing the number of good
> free software games. Maybe you can structure a game jam in such a way
> to bring that about. FreeGameDev suggested maybe focusing on modding
> games. The Linux Game Tome tried to get people to fix up a game for a
> month. That lead to SuperTuxKart fork from TuxKart. However that effort
> didn't really succeed and only became the success it is after it failed
> and new developers resurrected the game. Could you do a game jam where
> everyone builds level for a game and the best are worked together in
> the end? I think it would be difficult to weave them together and not
> have duplicate elements in the levels. But I think it might be an
> interesting thing to try.
>
> On Sat, 2022-01-01 at 12:01 +0000, Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss
> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Following on from the suggestion of a Libre Game Jam, there is an
>> event
>> coming up
>>
>> https://globalgamejam.org/
>>
>> This appears to be along similar lines to what was suggested, so may
>> be
>> good for some ideas.
>>
>> Paul

I am not a developer, the only thing I have really done is made levels
for rocks and diamonds,  I have however made some videos on how to do this.

https://personaljournal.ca/rocksanddiamonds/videos

Level sets can be integrated together as they are numbered as level001,
level002 etc,  so what you would do is rename your levels so they are
sequenced in such a way when both directories are merged, you have more
levels.

So perhaps the first step is to figure out what game genre people of
different age groups are interested in,  then find ways for us to teach
or help each other with level design / creation.  Then set about making
what we do have better.

Then move on to modding and game making.

To make mods for Minetest, it seems you need to learn Lua,   which is
fine. I have made a blog post

https://personaljournal.ca/paulsutton/minetest-foss-minecraft-clone

I am trying to pull together information, links to books, resources /
tutorials. forums, API info etc to help people.

It seems the info / games are there, but as RMS said it is about
discoverability,  something that seems rather lacking in a lot of cases.

Paul

Paul Sutton, Cert Cont Sci (Open)
https://personaljournal.ca/paulsutton/
Pronoun : him/his/he