From: Arthur Torrey <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>
To: libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
Subject: re: Linux distro chooser
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 23:49:04 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

I was rather underwhelmed - nice idea but the end was a HUGE list of distros, with very little info that would separate them.  For instance, I said yes to user is visually impaired, and that got the same list w/ the addition of "Software for visually impaired people are installable (e. g. 'Orca')" to each entry except for Knoppix, which has extra stuff for this built in, and might be a best choice, but it was in the MIDDLE of the list...

I gave feedback that they need to reduce the number of suggestions and make it a ranked list not just the list of most distros in the same order w/ +/-'s for each, as that really doesn't tell me much...

I also would point out that I AVOID the "all free" distros because I pick up my hardware used / salvaged and it is FAR more important to me that it WORKS than that I avoid binary blobs and other non-free stuff of that sort (I do try to minimize it, but I do what it takes to make my hardware work....)

IMHO given that a user starting on the Freedom Ladder probably has hardware that was purchased for a non-free OS, pointing them at an all-free distro is setting them up for a bad experience...  OTOH a distro like Debian that starts by installing only free (albeit w/ blobs in the kernel) software, but gives an error and points out the non-free drivers needed to make a functional system if needed is FAR more helpful, especially to those that aren't into the esoteric challenges of finding hardware that runs on free software (something not listed on most boxes...)

ART