From: Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
To: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
Cc: libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
Subject: Re: Linux distro chooser
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 09:09:35 +0100	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1691 bytes --]

On 25/10/2021 05:03, Jean Louis wrote:
> * Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org> [2021-10-24 20:28]:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I just found this on Mastodon, a really useful tool to help people find a
>> good linux distribution based on their needs.
>>
>> https://distrochooser.de/
>
> I don't agree it is even relevant for Libreplanet Discuss mailing list
> due to reason that it offers proprietary software.
>
> Quote:
>
> ,----
> | The (license) ideology of a distribution is a contentious
> | debate. There are distributions using mostly "free-licenses", others
> | also use "non-free" software.
> |
> | - [ ] I want to use free licenses as much as I can
> |
> | - [ ] I'm fine with non-free licenses as long as my system works
> `----

Hi

I do see the point being made here, however wasn't the idea behind
freedom ladder to perhaps take people on a journey that will end with
them using free software.  So to begin with people will perhaps need to
use non-free to get something working, but the eventual aim is to
eliminate the need for non-free anything.

With freedom ladder, if you start off with Windows and MS office then a
first step could be to start to use say Libreoffice so when you do
switch to Linux then you are familiar with the tools available,  perhaps
switch to nextcloud for storage etc.

We need to encourage people on that transitional journey, but take in to
account their usage needs.  Rather than stopping them right at the start
by making that journey more of an abrupt change.

Could the fsf not perhaps adapt the tool to work alongside freedom ladder?

Regards

Paul