unofficial mirror of libc-alpha@sourceware.org
* Changes to "Contribution Checklist" -- Format of the contribution.
@ 2019-02-13 21:33 Carlos O'Donell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2019-02-13 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers, Andreas Schwab, Florian Weimer,
	Adhemerval Zanella, Szabolcs Nagy, GNU C Library

Executive Summary
=================

I would like to propose that the "Contribution Checklist"
tell first time developers to send a 'git format-patch'
file or inlined text to the list for patch review instead
of a split patch and distinct ChangeLog.

Details
=======

I find it much easier to review patches which are effectively
an inlined 'git format-patch' file, or an attached
'git format-patch' file which I can apply right away.

I use the the standard ChangeLog merge-driver for git and
I've literally had zero problems with this. So splitting
out the ChangeLog as the "Contribution Checklist" recommends
is something many of us have stopped doing.

It's simply so much easier to pile on a bunch of commits in
your local tree while you work, use git rebase -i to fix
things and edit, and then git format-patch to get a series
of patches ready to go.

Having the ChangeLog split out makes work for me, and
is annoying.

Having a 'git format-patch' file shows clearly what
will be committed as part of the commit message for
which we often want careful review to record the intent
of the change in a logical way.

Can we get consensus to change the "Contribution Checklist"
to suggest a 'git format-patch' patch?

--
Cheers,
Carlos.