unofficial mirror of libc-alpha@sourceware.org
* Bugzilla: editbugs privs
@ 2018-02-19 10:22 Rical Jasan
From: Rical Jasan @ 2018-02-19 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

May I be added to the editbugs group in Bugzilla? [0]  I'm trying to
close BZ #6889, but it doesn't look like there is very much I can do.

Thank you,
Rical

[0] https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Bugzilla%20Procedures

* Re: Bugzilla: editbugs privs
@ 2018-02-19 11:04 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2018-02-19 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rical Jasan, libc-alpha

On 02/19/2018 11:22 AM, Rical Jasan wrote:
> May I be added to the editbugs group in Bugzilla? [0]  I'm trying to
> close BZ #6889, but it doesn't look like there is very much I can do.

Please check.  I think I have updated your account.

Thanks,
Florian

* Re: Bugzilla: editbugs privs
@ 2018-02-20  1:42   ` Rical Jasan
From: Rical Jasan @ 2018-02-20  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer, libc-alpha

On 02/19/2018 03:04 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 02/19/2018 11:22 AM, Rical Jasan wrote:
>> May I be added to the editbugs group in Bugzilla? [0]  I'm trying to
>> close BZ #6889, but it doesn't look like there is very much I can do.
>
> Please check.  I think I have updated your account.

That did the trick, thanks!

OOC, is there anything in particular I should be saying in a closing
comment?  It feels weird to just write, "Fixed."  I get not wanting
empty comments, but I guess there's no (visibly) tracking changes of
state otherwise?

Thank you,
Rical

* Re: Bugzilla: editbugs privs
@ 2018-02-22  9:13     ` Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2018-02-22  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rical Jasan, Florian Weimer, libc-alpha

On 02/19/2018 05:42 PM, Rical Jasan wrote:
> On 02/19/2018 03:04 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> On 02/19/2018 11:22 AM, Rical Jasan wrote:
>>> May I be added to the editbugs group in Bugzilla? [0]  I'm trying to
>>> close BZ #6889, but it doesn't look like there is very much I can do.
>>
>> Please check.  I think I have updated your account.
>
> That did the trick, thanks!
>
> OOC, is there anything in particular I should be saying in a closing
> comment?  It feels weird to just write, "Fixed."  I get not wanting
> empty comments, but I guess there's no (visibly) tracking changes of
> state otherwise?

Often we say "Fixed in X.Y" as a simple way of making it doubly
clear when it was fixed and to remind oneself to set the milestone :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Bugzilla: editbugs privs
@ 2018-02-22 12:14       ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2018-02-22 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, Rical Jasan, libc-alpha

On 02/22/2018 10:13 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 02/19/2018 05:42 PM, Rical Jasan wrote:
>>>
>>> Please check.  I think I have updated your account.
>>
>> That did the trick, thanks!
>>
>> OOC, is there anything in particular I should be saying in a closing
>> comment?  It feels weird to just write, "Fixed."  I get not wanting
>> empty comments, but I guess there's no (visibly) tracking changes of
>> state otherwise?
>
> Often we say "Fixed in X.Y" as a simple way of making it doubly
> clear when it was fixed and to remind oneself to set the milestone :-)

Sure, but I think the real reason is that Bugzilla requires something in
that field.  Maybe we should just ask for a configuration change to drop
that requirement?

Thanks,
Florian

* Re: Bugzilla: editbugs privs
@ 2018-02-22 13:48         ` Rical Jasan
From: Rical Jasan @ 2018-02-22 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer, Carlos O'Donell, libc-alpha

On 02/22/2018 04:14 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 02/22/2018 10:13 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

>>> That did the trick, thanks!
>>>
>>> OOC, is there anything in particular I should be saying in a closing
>>> comment?  It feels weird to just write, "Fixed."  I get not wanting
>>> empty comments, but I guess there's no (visibly) tracking changes of
>>> state otherwise?
>>
>> Often we say "Fixed in X.Y" as a simple way of making it doubly
>> clear when it was fixed and to remind oneself to set the milestone :-)
>
> Sure, but I think the real reason is that Bugzilla requires something in
> that field.  Maybe we should just ask for a configuration change to drop
> that requirement?

Is there otherwise a visible history of the status changes, though?
Nice behaviour IMO would be if it auto-generated a "Marked as RESOLVED
FIXED by Some Dev." comment if the status changed but the comment was
empty, but if you couldn't follow status changes because no comment was
generated, that'd be worse than the current situation, which after I
thought about it for a bit is why I asked what I should say instead of
why I have to write something.  :)

Rical

* Re: Bugzilla: editbugs privs
@ 2018-02-22 13:50           ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2018-02-22 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rical Jasan, Carlos O'Donell, libc-alpha

On 02/22/2018 02:48 PM, Rical Jasan wrote:
> On 02/22/2018 04:14 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:

>>> Often we say "Fixed in X.Y" as a simple way of making it doubly
>>> clear when it was fixed and to remind oneself to set the milestone :-)
>>
>> Sure, but I think the real reason is that Bugzilla requires something in
>> that field.  Maybe we should just ask for a configuration change to drop
>> that requirement?
>
> Is there otherwise a visible history of the status changes, though?
> Nice behaviour IMO would be if it auto-generated a "Marked as RESOLVED
> FIXED by Some Dev." comment if the status changed but the comment was
> empty, but if you couldn't follow status changes because no comment was
> generated, that'd be worse than the current situation, which after I
> thought about it for a bit is why I asked what I should say instead of
> why I have to write something.  :)

Like other Bugzillas, there is a History page for each bug, linked from
the top right corner.  It shows a complete history, except for the
aspects which have not changed since the filing of the bug (which can be
confusing).  But this does not apply here.

Thanks,
Florian

* Re: Bugzilla: editbugs privs
@ 2018-02-22 14:11             ` Rical Jasan
From: Rical Jasan @ 2018-02-22 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer, Carlos O'Donell, libc-alpha

On 02/22/2018 05:50 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 02/22/2018 02:48 PM, Rical Jasan wrote:

>>> Sure, but I think the real reason is that Bugzilla requires something in
>>> that field.  Maybe we should just ask for a configuration change to drop
>>> that requirement?
>>
>> Is there otherwise a visible history of the status changes, though?
>> Nice behaviour IMO would be if it auto-generated a "Marked as RESOLVED
>> FIXED by Some Dev." comment if the status changed but the comment was
>> empty, but if you couldn't follow status changes because no comment was
>> generated, that'd be worse than the current situation, which after I
>> thought about it for a bit is why I asked what I should say instead of
>> why I have to write something.  :)
>
> Like other Bugzillas, there is a History page for each bug, linked from
> the top right corner.  It shows a complete history, except for the

...my visual filter is set to ignore things like "History" hyperlinks
when I'm looking for a record of changes to a webpage.

RESOLVED FIXED  ;)

> aspects which have not changed since the filing of the bug (which can be
> confusing).  But this does not apply here.

Then yes, it would be convenient to not have to make a comment, though
it is a small inconvenience, and does provide a certain sense of closure
for casual readers of a bug.

Thanks,
Rical