unofficial mirror of libc-alpha@sourceware.org
From: Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com>
To: Simon Marchi <simon.marchi@polymtl.ca>,
	libc-alpha <libc-alpha@sourceware.org>,
	"gdb-patches@sourceware.org" <gdb-patches@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: Gerrit update - diff in comment notification emails
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 08:22:40 -0500	[thread overview]

On 11/8/19 7:03 PM, Simon Marchi wrote:
> On 2019-11-08 12:16 p.m., Simon Marchi wrote:
>> Note that while this shows the comments in the context of the diffs, it
>> doesn't show the comment you are replying to, if you were commenting in
>> reply to another comment.  So if we just reply "Done" in the web UI, we
>> will only see "Done" in the notification email, which is not very
>> enlightening.  So please try to use "Quote" instead of "Reply" and quote
>> the relevant portion of what you are replying to (just like you would by
>> email), so that it appears in the notification email.

Great work Simon!

Clearly if you're just responding with "Done" without any quote it's like
hitting reply to an email without quoting it and saying "Done."

There are habits we will all have to learn about Gerrit, like not just
hitting "+2" in the top right. Just hit reply and give your +2 so you don't
immediately send out email. This kind of quirk is interesting. I thought it
was bad and then I realized that the +2 not being staged is a "quick" way
to just review dozens of typo patches and get them approved without hitting
reply, and +2, and send.

So I think there *is* method in what appears to be arbitrary UI elements,
but are actually, like vim or emaacs, well tuned interfaces to their particular
uses.

Thank you again for working through the email formatting issues!

I hope we get these accepted upstream :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos.