* Concatenating MP3s Without Re-Encoding
@ 2017-03-16 20:20 Alex Durham
From: Alex Durham @ 2017-03-16 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

What is the command to concatenate a bunch of MP3s in a directory
without re-encoding?  I tried a few things but SOX re-encodes to
128bits.

* Re: Concatenating MP3s Without Re-Encoding
@ 2017-03-16 22:03 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2017-03-16 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Alex Durham <alexjdurham@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the command to concatenate a bunch of MP3s in a directory
> without re-encoding?  I tried a few things but SOX re-encodes to
> 128bits.

It's not possible to do this with sox; the first thing sox does
is unencode/uncompress the audio to PCM before doing anything
further with the audio, including concatenation.

There might be other tools which can work natively with mp3s
without transocding, but I'm not knowledgeable of them.
Maybe others can help you, here.

* Re: Concatenating MP3s Without Re-Encoding
@ 2017-03-17  1:46   ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2017-03-17  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: sox-users

Eric Wong <normalperson@yhbt.net> writes:

> Alex Durham <alexjdurham@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the command to concatenate a bunch of MP3s in a directory
>> without re-encoding?  I tried a few things but SOX re-encodes to
>> 128bits.
>
> It's not possible to do this with sox; the first thing sox does
> is unencode/uncompress the audio to PCM before doing anything
> further with the audio, including concatenation.
>
> There might be other tools which can work natively with mp3s
> without transocding, but I'm not knowledgeable of them.
> Maybe others can help you, here.

Plain old "cat" will do it if there are no ID3 tags.

--
Måns Rullgård