* sox/mansr: DSD to PCM
@ 2020-05-19 13:18 tsepp2000
From: tsepp2000 @ 2020-05-19 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

* Re: sox/mansr: DSD to PCM
@ 2020-05-19 20:22 ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2020-05-19 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tsepp2000; +Cc: sox-users

tsepp2000@web.de writes:

> Hello,
>
> does anyone have any experience with which Sox-Mansr parameters to get the
> best possible conversion (noise...) into a PCM file? I found this one,
> which uses Sox "filters". What does that mean?

To convert DSD to PCM, use the 'rate' effect just as you would to
convert between PCM sample rates.

--
Måns Rullgård

* Re: sox/mansr: DSD to PCM
@ 2020-05-20  7:46 tsepp2000
From: tsepp2000 @ 2020-05-20  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

* Re: sox/mansr: DSD to PCM
@ 2020-05-20  8:16 ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2020-05-20  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tsepp2000; +Cc: sox-users

tsepp2000@web.de writes:

> Thank you Mans,
>
> my question was a little more profound. I have linked 3 pictures that show
> the difference between three of many ways. Some filters are also used
> here. My question was about whether someone here has deeper experiences
> and has also made listening comparisons about the highest quality command
> for sox.

The thread you linked is about conversion from PCM to DSD.

> I could not attach my 3 example pictures (Spek): Every file 32 Bit Float,
> Sox-files linear phase. Here the download-link:
> https://www.file-upload.net/download-14089057/DSF2WAV.zip.html
> The Spek-pictures:
> - Xrecode3.png output 352,8kHz File (Standard-output of XRecode3)
>
> - Sox_rate_savL88200_gain_8_lowpass_1_25000_sinc_30000_n43.png
> sox input.dsf -b 32 -e float output.wav rate -s -a -v -L 88200 gain 8
> lowpass -1 25000 sinc -30000 -n 43

That uses the rate effect, then applies some additional low-pass
filtering, presumably to remove the modulator noise.

> - Sox_rate_savL88200.png
> sox input.dsf -b 32 -e float output.wav rate -b 99 -a -v -L 88200

And that's just the rate effect without any additional filtering.

I don't quite understand what you're asking.

--
Måns Rullgård

* Re: sox/mansr: DSD to PCM
@ 2020-05-20  9:17   ` tsepp2000
From: tsepp2000 @ 2020-05-20  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

* Re: sox/mansr: DSD to PCM
@ 2020-05-21 14:12     ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2020-05-21 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tsepp2000; +Cc: sox-users

tsepp2000@web.de writes:

> My question: Because we use this conversion to convert music files, which
> are basically of the very best quality, in a way that goes very far
> (conversion with influence of noise, time, gain and more ...), a
> discussion with a 360 degree view of all phenomena would be very helpful,
> how this can best be done with Sox to get an adequate (here) PCM file. The
> standard procedure with Xrecode3, for example, is not optimal.

The 'rate' effect with no special options should give good results.
Conversion of DSD64 to a rate higher than 48 kHz will end up with some
ultrasonic noise.  If you don't like this, you can reduce it with an
additional low-pass filter.  That's all there is to it.

--
Måns Rullgård

* Re: sox/mansr: DSD to PCM
@ 2020-05-21 16:44       ` tsepp2000
From: tsepp2000 @ 2020-05-21 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Thank you Mans for your efforts. My mistake. I'm in the totally wrong forum.

Regards
Thomas