sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net unofficial mirror
 help / color / Atom feed
From: Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users <jn.ml.sxu.88@wingsandbeaks.org.uk>
To: thomas@tensi.eu, sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Reason for sox mix restriction to two or more input files?
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 10:52:54 +0100
Message-ID: <f8fcdf1156c2691934c68a3b8287d3b5@wingsandbeaks.org.uk> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <66ca46e2-92b8-a920-9b71-52e89ac5c033@gmx.de>

On 2019-08-09 20:42, Dr. Thomas Tensi wrote:
> Dear all,
> 
> 
> I am using sox for automatic, scripted file generation.
> 
> One step is a mix of several input files.  It may happen
> that - by configuration - only a single input file remains
> for that mixing step.
> 
> This cannot be handled by sox, because sox _requires_
> at least two input files and quits with the message
>   "Not enough input filenames specified"
> 
> I understand that at least one input file is necessary
> (for finding the target length, sample rate etc.), but
> why does sox fail when mixing a single input file?

Probably because it's simpler to write programmes that assume
the user means what they say.  So if you ask sox to mix several
files, it is written assuming that you will provide more than
one.

You say you're using a script to drive this.  That means you are
in control.  Your script can - surely - determine that there's
only one input file and adjust the sox command(s) you're using
accordingly.


-- 
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own


_______________________________________________
Sox-users mailing list
Sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sox-users

  reply index

Thread overview: 6+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2019-08-09 19:42 Dr. Thomas Tensi
2019-08-10  9:52 ` Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users [this message]
2019-08-10 12:06   ` Dr. Thomas Tensi
2019-08-10 17:28   ` Måns Rullgård
2019-08-11 19:22 Dr. Thomas Tensi
2019-08-12  9:29 ` Måns Rullgård

Reply instructions:

You may reply publically to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-list from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

  List information: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sox-users

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=f8fcdf1156c2691934c68a3b8287d3b5@wingsandbeaks.org.uk \
    --to=sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net \
    --cc=thomas@tensi.eu \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link

sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net unofficial mirror

Archives are clonable: git clone --mirror https://public-inbox.org/sox-users

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.public-inbox.org/inbox.comp.audio.sox
	nntp://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/inbox.comp.audio.sox
	nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.sox

 note: .onion URLs require Tor: https://www.torproject.org/

AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox