From: Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users <jn.ml.sxu.88@wingsandbeaks.org.uk>
To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Creating files with RMS gain level instead of Peak
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2018 20:52:28 +0100	[thread overview]

On 2018-07-07 19:19, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users <jn.ml.sxu.88@wingsandbeaks.org.uk>
> writes:
>
>> On 2018-07-07 16:05, James Trammell wrote:
>>
>>> How can I get gain of -12dBFS RMS?
>>
>> I don't understand the difference, but even I can see
>> that the manual describes -B and -b options for the
>> gain effect, in terms of RMS rather than peak levels.
>>
>> I do not know if one or other of these options will do
>> what you want.
>
> Those options are for equalising channels using either peak or RMS
> value as reference.

Ah, I read about the equalising and then forgot it...

> For a fixed scaling, the peak and RMS values are affected equally.
> Dividing every sample by two, say, will halve both the peak and RMS
> values.

Yes.  So does that mean that the OP should use something like the
'stat' effect to find out the peak RMS level of the audio file,
then work out how much gain or attenuation is needed, then use
a 'gain' effect with that calculated value?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own