* BatchProcessing Files on Windows
@ 2020-05-26 22:30 Nils Wallgren
From: Nils Wallgren @ 2020-05-26 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To:   sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

I have some problems getting these things to work:

1 I want the duration of a couple of soundfiles in a directory

sox --i -D kick_*.wav

the name of the sound files are kick_1.wav, kick_2.wav, kick_3.wav etc
but it doesn’t work with the wildcard.

2 If I want to batch process a couple of files in a directory and process/convert them to something else
And put the processed files in a new folder, how do I do that?

for %i in *.wav do sox "%i" -b 8  "n_%i" .flac

(also not sure of the conversion of the files when batching)

Best,

* Re: BatchProcessing Files on Windows
@ 2020-05-27  0:21 ` Jeff Learman
From: Jeff Learman @ 2020-05-27  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

For the first question, I'll let the devs answer, but apparently sox
doesn't batch.

For the second question, that's not a sox issue; it's a scripting
question.  What shell are you using?  For bash:

for F in *.wav ; do
    sox $F -b 8 mydir/$F
done

I'm guessing you use Windows CLI?  For that I'd use this:
https://ss64.com/nt/for2.html -- so it looks like you just need %% instead
of %, and a backslash between the dir name and the wave file name.

Jeff

@ 2020-05-27  8:09   ` Nils Wallgren
       [not found]     ` <173dc6c3-ff96-e8b7-a072-3d3f84220e5d@bayern-mail.de>
From: Nils Wallgren @ 2020-05-27  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Thanks for the reply. I am using windows 10 command prompt. Maybe not optimal but It’s kind of hard to know
which one to use if your not an experienced programmer. I have Git Bash, is this is what you mean? But I don’t use it
because I can’t get the set audiodriver to work as I could in the command prompt. In cmd.exe this is the first thing I do
set audiodriver=waveaudio and I am ready to go. I guess there is a simple way to set up this from bash but
I havn’t found any answer. The amount of questions quickly escalates

When I ran your first script inside bash it didn’t work
Just to make things clear:
I ran this inside of Git Bash from a chosen folder set as my cd
I also have to create a new folder within in this cd with mkdir?

Then I’ll use for F in *.wav ; do
    sox $F -b 8 nameoffolder/$F
done

But It doesn’t work

But It would be nice to run it inside Command Prompt in windows 10.
I have been using sox in with cmd.exe because it worked for but most information I find using sox is on Linux
So maybe I should switch..

@ 2020-05-27  8:34       ` tsepp2000
From: tsepp2000 @ 2020-05-27  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

* Re: BatchProcessing Files on Windows
@ 2020-05-27  9:48         ` Nils Wallgren
From: Nils Wallgren @ 2020-05-27  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

I don’t think the .cmd lets me use %%:
“%%a was unexpected at this time”
Also:
“C:\sox.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command”

What I want to do is convert files within a cd using wildcards *.wav converting these to another fileformat i.e flac while also giving it its name and create the processed
In a new folder within the cd.

This is the closest I get but the naming is kind of strange
Mkdir converted
For %i in (*.wav) do sox "%i" -b 8  "converted/name_%i.flac

babar.wav  (original fil)

n_babar.wav.flac (new file)
would be nice to just have the n_babar.flac

From: Måns Rullgård @ 2020-05-27 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Wallgren; +Cc:  sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Nils Wallgren <affarer@hotmail.com> writes:

> I have some problems getting these things to work:
>
> 1 I want the duration of a couple of soundfiles in a directory
>
> sox --i -D kick_*.wav
>
> the name of the sound files are kick_1.wav, kick_2.wav, kick_3.wav etc
> but it doesn’t work with the wildcard.

The Windows command shell doesn't expand wildcards, leaving it up to
each application to do that.  SoX wasn't written with this in mind and
simply takes the arguments as given.  I'm in no mood to change that.

I suggest using some other scripting language, or maybe there's a way to
enable wildcard expansion.

--
Måns Rullgård

* Re: BatchProcessing Files on Windows
@ 2020-05-27 12:31           ` tsepp2000
       [not found]             ` <HE1PR0102MB3225333E72970AB67FB1D914AAB10@HE1PR0102MB3225.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: tsepp2000 @ 2020-05-27 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Wallgren; +Cc: sox-users

This is a fake sox-path :-) You must use ure own path!!! Where is your
sox. exe? Or do you start the batch file or command inside the folder of
Sox, where the sox.exe is?

This should work - commandline (if you have flac inside):
FOR %F IN (*.wav) DO sox.exe "%F" -b 8 "%~NF.flac"

Or in a *.cmd:
FOR %%F IN (*.wav) DO sox.exe "%%F" -b 8 "%%~NF.flac"

Regards
Thomas

@ 2020-05-27 12:50     ` Jeff Learman
From: Jeff Learman @ 2020-05-27 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

"It doesn't work" is not helpful.  Is there an error message?  What DOES
happen?

Forget that for now, though.  Let's stick with Windows CLI.  Evidently the
link I sent wasn't a good one.  Try this

mkdir foo
for %i in (*.wav) do sox %i -b 8 foo\%i

You can use "help for" in Windows cmd window for more info on how to use
"for".

@ 2020-05-27 12:55       ` Jeff Learman
From: Jeff Learman @ 2020-05-27 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Oops didn't see other replies.  Please ignore my response.  I now see that
the only remaining issue is what we would use "basename -s" for in linux.

@ 2020-05-28  5:35               ` tsepp2000
From: tsepp2000 @ 2020-05-28  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Wallgren; +Cc: sox-users

If the place of Sox is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sox\sox.exe", you could
also start your command in your wav-folder:

FOR %F IN (*.wav) DO "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sox\sox.exe" "%F" -b 8
"%~NF.aiff"

or

FOR %F IN (*.wav) DO "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sox\sox.exe" "%F" -b 8
"processedfolder\%~NF.flac"

*.cmd means a batch file. I have attached such a file ("command.txt"):
- copy it inside your wav-folder
- if necessary do any changes
- inside a cmd-file you need double "%"
- rename it to "command.cmd" and make a double-click :-)

Regards
Thomas

Am 27.05.2020 um 15:33 schrieb Nils Wallgren:
> I have my sox.exe in in my Program Files (x86). What I always do is 1)
> open the folder that contains the audiofiles, write the “cmd” in the
> address field
>
> 2) set the audiodriver=waveaudio
>
> 3) then I use sox/play/rec
>
> I don’t know any other way to work.
>
> Sorry. But when you write *.cmd I am not really sure where to run this
> command.
>
> I tried my workprocess with FOR %F IN (*.wav) DO sox.exe "%F" -b 8
> "processedfolder\%~NF.flac" and it works
>
> But not really sure what the ~NF is short for.
>
> If I work within the folder of Sox I also need to place the audiofiles
> in this folder too.

> Windows 10

[-- Attachment #2: command.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 105 bytes --]

FOR %%F IN (*.wav) DO "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sox\sox.exe" "%%F" -b 8 "processedfolder\%%~NF.flac"
Pause

@ 2020-05-28  5:53               ` tsepp2000
From: tsepp2000 @ 2020-05-28  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Wallgren; +Cc: sox-users

Help: for /?

"N" only creates the file name of %I.

@ 2020-05-28 14:07                 ` Jeff Learman
From: Jeff Learman @ 2020-05-28 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

%%~Ni returns the base filename (without directory or extension) for %%i,
if %%i is the index in a FOR loop.  See
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3432851/dos-bat-file-equivalent-to-unix-basename-command
for more info.  Look at the second answer down, which has a list for what
"%~xi" does for different letters x.  Apparently it's case-insensitive.
Also, the for is different in a batch file than on the command line, "%%"
versus "%", see
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14509652/what-is-the-difference-between-and-in-a-cmd-file
for the reason.  (I'll just add that to the list of reasons I dislike
Windows command line.  But the main reason is I'm more used to sh/ksh/bash.)

@ 2020-05-28 14:17                   ` Jeff Learman
From: Jeff Learman @ 2020-05-28 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

BTW, if you have more Windows cmd issues, I highly recommend joining and
asking at http://stackoverflow.com which is a better place for generic
questions.  Of course, at first you didn't know whether your issues were
sox issues (and one of them was.)  Just pointing out a great resource for
that kind of question.  They can also answer sox questions there.

@ 2020-05-29 12:24                     ` Nils Wallgren
From: Nils Wallgren @ 2020-05-29 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Thanks so much for the help. I guess a lot of the things were kind of basic and made it confusing what I was asking for. I am really glad I got it to work