* basic help with SoX on windows 10
@ 2019-10-29  8:56 Nils Wallgren
From: Nils Wallgren @ 2019-10-29  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To:   sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi, I am new to SoX and can’t really figure out how to understand where things save. I ran this in my command prompt in windows sox -t waveaudio -d new-file.wav. But where does it save. I didn’t know how to stop it so I closed the command prompt.

Most intructions seems to be on Os  and it is quite hard to find instructions of the basics for windows.

Do I have to type sox before anything I want to do with sox in the command prompt? How do I start a recording and stop it?

Save it – default and choosen location?

Is there any good tutorial that covers the basics?

* Re: basic help with SoX on windows 10
@ 2019-10-29 12:36 ` Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users
From: Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users @ 2019-10-29 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On 2019-10-29 08:56, Nils Wallgren wrote:
> Hi, I am new to SoX and can’t really figure out how to understand
> where things save. I ran this in my command prompt in windows
>
>  sox -t waveaudio -d new-file.wav

It's like other commands in Windows; if you don't specify a fully
pathed filename then it uses whatever Windows thinks is the current
working directory.

It's far better to be specific, eg

    sox -t waveaudio -d "C:\this\that\other\new-file.wav"

> Most intructions seems to be on Os  and it is quite hard to find
> instructions of the basics for windows.

You can get the PDF manual for sox (and soxi, which can also be
useful) at

   http://sox.sourceforge.net/Docs/Documentation

You don't have to read the whole manual - ie you don't need to read
about all the different effects, but you do need to understand the
basic command syntax and the information about how sox goes about
doing things.  I'd suggest you start by reading the first 14 pages
or so.

I don't know what you mean by "on Os".

Most (all?) of the examples will work as shown, on Windows.

> Do I have to type sox before anything I want to do with sox in the
> command prompt? How do I start a recording and stop it?

Typing the sox command starts sox, either to make a recording, or
(if that's already been done and you tell it to process a existing
file) to start doing things to that file.

See "Stopping sox" on p6 of the manual.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own

* Re: basic help with SoX on windows 10
@ 2019-10-29 13:30   ` Nils Wallgren
From: Nils Wallgren @ 2019-10-29 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Thanks for the reply!

> Most intructions seems to be on Os  and it is quite hard to find

I meant for macOS, sorry

Scrolling through the manual but It still seems that I cannot use the normal rec
I cant just write rec but have to use sox -t waveaudio .. (as you suggested. Same thing with play.
Tried this in the command prompt: play SC_191028_105931.aiff and get the message

>'play' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

When I write sox in the prompt I get a lot of information but this kind of line stood out:
>sox FAIL sox: Not enough input filenames specified

Not sure if I have to worry about that.

________________________________

@ 2019-10-29 22:44     ` Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users
From: Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users @ 2019-10-29 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On 2019-10-29 13:30, Nils Wallgren wrote:
> Thanks for the reply!
>
>> Most intructions seems to be on Os  and it is quite hard to find
>
> I meant for macOS, sorry
>
> Scrolling through the manual but It still seems that I cannot use the
> normal rec
> I cant just write rec but have to use sox -t waveaudio .. (as you
> suggested. Same thing with play.
> Tried this in the command prompt: play SC_191028_105931.aiff and get
> the message
>
>> 'play' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

I'm wondering were you got sox from, and in what form.  When I installed
it
there was a choice of an installer, or a zip.  I chose the latter
because
when I unzipped it, I could see what the various files it contained
were,
read the relevant notes and do what they said.  Maybe, with an
installer,
it's not that obvious?

In my notes on how I installed sox here, it says that in a file named
README.win32.txt  the text said that if one wants to have the "play" and
"rec" commands work, once has simply to make copies of the sox.exe file
named play.exe and rec.exe.

That means that when you issue a 'play' command for example the program
that runs is identical to what would run if you issued a 'sox' command,
but I expect the program code looks at the command used to run itself,
and thus sees if you invoked the 'play' or 'sox' or 'rec' one.

I had completely forgotten that the same is true if you want "soxi" to
work - you need to copy "sox.exe" as "soxi.exe".   That's certainly
worth doing because running soxi against an audio file will tell you
about what's actually in the file.

Certainly a response like "'play' is not recognized as an internal
or external command, operable program or batch file."  means that
there's no "play.exe" (or play.bat or various other possibilities)
in any of the folders defined on 'PATH' in your system.  It sounds
to me as if you've not got sox 'installed' properly.

> When I write sox in the prompt I get a lot of information but this
> kind of line stood out:

>> sox FAIL sox: Not enough input filenames specified

What you should have got was a summary of the call syntax for sox.
I expect you got it because you didn't specify any, or the right
combination of, parameters after the sox command itself.

You need to look at the examples in the manual.

Sox won't start a gui-based dialog with you, nor will it make the
command window go into "sox mode" and then expect a series of sox
subcommands.  You provide ALL the filenames and other parameters
on one long command line, then sox does all of what you asked for,
then it stops.

Some of the examples in the manual are quite complicated, with many
separate steps in them, but you don't need to try to be clever right
at the start.

--

@ 2019-10-30 14:42       ` Nils Wallgren
From: Nils Wallgren @ 2019-10-30 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

>I'm wondering were you got sox from, and in what form.  When I >installed there was a choice of an installer, or a zip.  I chose the latter
>because when I unzipped it, I could see what the various files it contained
>were, read the relevant notes and do what they said.  Maybe, with an
>installer,
>it's not that obvious?

I downloaded it from sourceforge. Originally choose the sox 14.4.2-win32.exe which is  an installer.
I tried the the sox-14-4-2-win32.zip but this I hade to drag to my program files (x86) myself. I also had to a path so that my command prompt recognises the sox.
When I evalutate sox I get:
SoX v14.4.2
Sox FAIL sox: Not enough input filenames specified
Usage summary: [gopts]  ...
And bunch of other things that looks lika a manual

I tried sox -t waveaudio -d "C:\Users\xx\Documents\bla.wav"
And at least it created a file :
I also tried(after I created a copy of the sox.exe and named it rec.exe, another copy play.exe and another soxi.exe):

rec new-file.wav  ( an example taken from page 3 from the manual)

But this doesn’t create any file.

Also tried this : play -n -c1 synth sin %-12 sin %-9 sin %-5 sin %-2 fade h 0.1 1 0.1 from from the manual but no luck

>What you should have got was a summary of the call syntax for sox.
>I expect you got it because you didn't specify any, or the right
>combination of, parameters after the sox command itself.

What I get after pressing enter on a line I get a call syntax
Which is the same for just typing sox (and play rec, soxi is a bit different it seems).
It seems that I am doing something wrong but I really try to do as the manual says but I don’t get it right.

Thanks for your patience

________________________________

@ 2019-10-30 19:18         ` Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users
From: Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users @ 2019-10-30 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On 2019-10-30 14:42, Nils Wallgren wrote:

> I downloaded it from sourceforge. Originally choose the sox
> 14.4.2-win32.exe which is  an installer.

> I tried the the sox-14-4-2-win32.zip but this I hade to drag to my
> program files (x86) myself. I also had to a path so that my command
> prompt recognises the sox.

So... you added to PATH the folder in which you placed sox.exe
and (later) play.exe, rec.exe and soxi.exe ?

> When I evalutate sox I get:
> SoX v14.4.2
> Sox FAIL sox: Not enough input filenames specified
> Usage summary: [gopts]  ...
> And bunch of other things that looks lika a manual

That's the expected reply if you have no parameters (or maybe
the wrong ones).

> I tried sox -t waveaudio -d "C:\Users\xx\Documents\bla.wav"
> And at least it created a file.

And did the file contain any audio - if eg you double-click
it did it play?  I'd expect a wav file just to play on Windows,
- you don't need sox for that.  Here, the default player for
wav files is Windows Media Player.

> I also tried(after I created a copy of the sox.exe and named it
> rec.exe, another copy play.exe and another soxi.exe):
>
> rec new-file.wav  ( an example taken from page 3 from the manual)
>
> But this doesn’t create any file.

The manual says that: rec new-file.wav
     is equivalent to: sox −d new-file.wav

ie to copy audio from -d  which is the default device, to the named
file.

Are you sure it didn't create a file, but maybe put it somewhere that
you haven't looked?   Why didn't you use eg

  rec "C:\Users\xx\Documents\another.wav"

Also, you'll note that that command doesn't have:  -t waveaudio
which the working one did have.  Why did you miss it out?

I've never used sox to record audio from the same PC (I use it
to manipulate files made on a solid-state audio recorder), but
reading the soxformat manual suggests that this is maybe used
to tell sox which device to use.  It looks as if you might need
to use

   -t waveaudio "the device name"

or

   -t waveaudio n

where n is a device number.  (But later, trying to specify an
output device this way, I couldn't get anything to work, with
either n values 0,1,2,3,4... or names like "Speakers" or "USB
Audio CODEC" which are what Windows sound configuration shows
me.  (I've got W8.1.)

Then again, you say that the earlier command did create a
bla.wav file.  But was there anything in it?

You can get useful info from an audio file's headers (if it has
any headers) by eg:

   soxi "C:\this\that\sounds.wav"

and also two of the "effects" that sox can run will provide info about
the audio itself inside the file.   For exaample:

C:\>soxi "C:\Dropbox\JN_Recordings\20150615 SCC - Flickering Light\Raw
files\3 SV3900 - Concert.wav"

Input File     : 'C:\Dropbox\JN_Recordings\20150615 SCC - Flickering
Light\Raw files\3 SV3900 - Concert.wav'
Channels       : 2
Sample Rate    : 44100
Precision      : 16-bit
Duration       : 00:42:10.84 = 111609856 samples = 189813 CDDA sectors
File Size      : 446M
Bit Rate       : 1.41M
Sample Encoding: 16-bit Signed Integer PCM

C:\>

The useful info effects are named "stat" and "stats".  For them I get:

C:\>sox "C:\Dropbox\JN_Recordings\20150615 SCC - Flickering Light\Raw
files\3 SV3900 - Concert.wav" -n stat
Samples read:         223219712
Length (seconds):   2530.835737
Scaled by:         2147483647.0
Maximum amplitude:     0.418976
Minimum amplitude:    -0.426361
Midline amplitude:    -0.003693
Mean    norm:          0.008174
Mean    amplitude:     0.000096
RMS     amplitude:     0.015213
Maximum delta:         0.362122
Minimum delta:         0.000000
Mean    delta:         0.007552
RMS     delta:         0.013745
Rough   frequency:         6341
Volume adjustment:        2.345

C:\>sox "C:\Dropbox\JN_Recordings\20150615 SCC - Flickering Light\Raw
files\3 SV3900 - Concert.wav" -n stats
              Overall     Left      Right
DC offset   0.000162  0.000162  0.000030
Min level  -0.426361 -0.426361 -0.355652
Max level   0.418976  0.418976  0.331818
Pk lev dB      -7.40     -7.40     -8.98
RMS lev dB    -36.36    -35.29    -37.78
RMS Pk dB     -16.18    -16.18    -16.96
RMS Tr dB     -85.48    -77.99    -85.48
Crest factor       -     24.78     27.54
Flat factor     0.00      0.00      0.00
Pk count           2         2         2
Bit-depth      15/16     15/16     15/16
Num samples     112M
Length s    2530.836
Scale max   1.000000
Window s       0.050

C:\>

Note that here sox reads audio from the named file, and copies it to
"-n"
which is a null device (ie it is copied to nowhere).  However as the
data
is seen it is processed by the effect.

You can do that command as: sox "inputfile.wav" -n stat stats
torun both "effects" one after the other if you prefer.

> Also tried this : play -n -c1 synth sin %-12 sin %-9 sin %-5 sin %-2
> fade h 0.1 1 0.1 from from the manual but no luck

No luck... meaning what?  An error message?  Silence?

Presumably it plays to the default output device?  But on Windows there
will be some sort of audio mixer that allows you to choose which sounds
from which programs are actually audible.

Just because an error sound, or a beep works doesn't mean that sound
from every other program will automatically be audible.

Hmm.  If I try that I get:

   FAIL sox: Sorry, there is no default audio device configured

and - depite trying this & that, and googling I've not been able to make
it work.   A few posts suggest that it might work on the earlier version
of sox, v14-4-1.  I've not tried.  Running all sorts of commands, with
-V4 (verbose output) I just see things like:

   sox.exe DBUG sox: Looking for a default device: trying format
`waveaudio'
   sox.exe DBUG waveaudio: waveOutOpen(QUERY: Dev -1 0Hz 0Ch 8Prec 8Wide)
returned 32
   sox.exe FAIL sox: Sorry, there is no default audio device configured

I'm just a user; I have no idea how to fix this.  Other programs on my
machine happily produce sound.

Generating a synthesised tone and putting in a file (and later playing
that by double-clicking the .wav file) does work.  I'm not a fan of the
'play' & 'rec' command forms though and prefer to build up a standard
sox
command so that all the parameters used are those I specified.  Because
of the way a command has global options then for each file that's named
file-options followed by the file name/id, then effect names and options
my view is that one needs to know which is which.  So for example in

  play -n -c1 synth sin %-12 sin %-9 sin %-5 sin %-2 fade h 0.1 1 0.1

the -n is the input file, which means there's no 'global options' or
first file options... because if there had been they'd have had to
come before "-n".

Then we have "-c1" (which means "one channel") and refers (because it
is a file format option) to the following file.  But there's no file
explicitly named after that "-c1".  But it's there because "play"
implies an output file.   Then "synth .... fade..." are effects and
their parameters.

I prefer to use eg

  sox -n -c1 "%temp%\mono1.wav" synth sin %-12 sin %-9 sin %-5 sin %-2
fade h 0.1 1 0.1

or (for much more info as it runs)

  sox -V4 -n -c1 "%temp%\mono2.wav" synth sin %-12 sin %-9 sin %-5 sin
%-2 fade h 0.1 1 0.1

Both those generate a file in your Temporary files folder.

[Normally I use scripts to generate sox commands, and I consider global
options,
each file's options etc separately in the script so that I can keep
track of
which part is which, then finally build the command out of each section.
  That
way I can make sure that certain options, eg "--no-clobber", are
specified
every time.  That one is useful as it prevents accidental overwriting of
any
output file, if one gets the overall command wrong... which is easy to
do.

--

@ 2019-10-31 13:09           ` Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users
From: Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users @ 2019-10-31 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On 2019-10-30 19:18, Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users wrote:

> Hmm.  If I try that I get:
>
>   FAIL sox: Sorry, there is no default audio device configured
>
> and - depite trying this & that, and googling I've not been able to
> make
> it work.   A few posts suggest that it might work on the earlier
> version
> of sox, v14-4-1.  I've not tried.  Running all sorts of commands, with
> -V4 (verbose output) I just see things like:
>
>   sox.exe DBUG sox: Looking for a default device: trying format
> `waveaudio'
>   sox.exe DBUG waveaudio: waveOutOpen(QUERY: Dev -1 0Hz 0Ch 8Prec
> 8Wide) returned 32
>   sox.exe FAIL sox: Sorry, there is no default audio device configured

Trying again today, I've found a command that works:

   play.exe -n -c1 -t waveaudio synth sin %-12 sin %-9 sin %-5 sin %-2
fade h 0.1 1 0.1

It doesn't work with   -t waveaudio 0
                   or   -t waveaudio 1
                   or   -t waveaudio -1

If I ask sox to be very verbose ( -V6 ) in the command that works, ie by

   play.exe -V6 -n -c1 -t waveaudio synth sin %-12 sin %-9 sin %-5 sin
%-2 fade h 0.1 1 0.1

some of the verbose output says:

   play.exe DBUG waveaudio: waveOutOpen(QUERY: Dev -1 48000Hz 1Ch 32Prec
32Wide) returned 0
   play.exe INFO waveaudio: Using default output device at 48000Hz 1Ch
32Prec 32Wide.

which is interesting because the "waveOutOpen(QUERY: Dev -1" part
suggests that internally
sox was able to find out what the 'default' device was by referring to
device id -1, this
time, but in stuff I did yesterday it kept showing

  sox.exe DBUG sox: Looking for a default device: trying format
`waveaudio'
  sox.exe DBUG waveaudio: waveOutOpen(QUERY: Dev -1 0Hz 0Ch 8Prec 8Wide)
returned 32

where the same device number didn't seem to work.

I also found a way to make sox show me what devices it was considering
when looking for a
default waveaudio device.  By telling it to show me lots of debugging
output (with -V6) &
asking for a named audio device that it won't find

  sox.exe -V6 -n -t waveaudio jfhgfgfjg

some of the output contained:

  sox.exe DBUG waveaudio: Enumerating output device -1: "Microsoft Sound
Mapper"
  sox.exe DBUG waveaudio: Enumerating output device  0: "Speakers (USB
Audio CODEC )"
  sox.exe DBUG waveaudio: Enumerating output device  1: "Speakers
(Realtek High Definiti"
  sox.exe FAIL formats: can't open output file `jfhgfgfjg': The requested
WaveAudio device was not found.

So... you'd think if it lists three named devices, one should be able to
specify any
of those by name?  But I was not able to do that:

  C:\>play.exe -V6 -n -c1 -t waveaudio "Microsoft Sound Mapper" synth sin
%-12 sin %-9 sin %-5 sin %-2 fade h 0.1 1 0.1
  play.exe DBUG sox: Looking for a default device: trying format
`waveaudio'
  play.exe DBUG waveaudio: waveOutOpen(QUERY: Dev -1 0Hz 0Ch 8Prec 8Wide)
returned 32
  play.exe FAIL sox: Sorry, there is no default audio device configured

  C:\>play.exe -V6 -n -c1 -t waveaudio "Speakers (USB Audio CODEC )"
synth sin %-12 sin %-9 sin %-5  sin %-2 fade h 0.1 1 0.1
  play.exe DBUG sox: Looking for a default device: trying format
`waveaudio'
  play.exe DBUG waveaudio: waveOutOpen(QUERY: Dev -1 0Hz 0Ch 8Prec 8Wide)
returned 32
  play.exe FAIL sox: Sorry, there is no default audio device configured

  C:\>play.exe -V6 -n -c1 -t waveaudio "Speakers (Realtek High Definiti"
synth sin %-12 sin %-9 sin  %-5 sin %-2 fade h 0.1 1 0.1
  play.exe DBUG sox: Looking for a default device: trying format
`waveaudio'
  play.exe DBUG waveaudio: waveOutOpen(QUERY: Dev -1 0Hz 0Ch 8Prec 8Wide)
returned 32
  play.exe FAIL sox: Sorry, there is no default audio device configured

I also found in a MSDN programmers' info page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/cimwin32prov/win32-sounddevice

a way of listing audio devices on my pc.   When I run something based on
that
I see three devices, but I don't see the names that sox was able to
find.  I
see:

1)      Caption: Realtek High Definition Audio
        DeviceID:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_144DC0D8&REV_1002\4&1391229C&0&0001
    Manufacturer: Realtek
            Name: Realtek High Definition Audio
     PNPDeviceID:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_144DC0D8&REV_1002\4&1391229C&0&0001
    Product Name: Realtek High Definition Audio
      StatusInfo: 3

2)      Caption: Intel(R) Display Audio
        DeviceID:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2806&SUBSYS_144DC0D8&REV_1000\4&1391229C&0&0301
    Manufacturer: Intel(R) Corporation
            Name: Intel(R) Display Audio
     PNPDeviceID:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2806&SUBSYS_144DC0D8&REV_1000\4&1391229C&0&0301
    Product Name: Intel(R) Display Audio
      StatusInfo: 3

3)      Caption: USB Audio Device
        DeviceID: USB\VID_08BB&PID_2902&MI_00\7&173E1977&1&0000
    Manufacturer: (Generic USB Audio)
            Name: USB Audio Device
     PNPDeviceID: USB\VID_08BB&PID_2902&MI_00\7&173E1977&1&0000
    Product Name: USB Audio Device
      StatusInfo: 3

which is not helpful.  For a start the device numbers -1, 0, 1 don't
seem to
correspond.

When I use the Control Panel - Sound configuration options, it shows
devices
with names like "Realtek High Definition Audio", "USB Audio Device" etc
which
correspond to the ones in this list.  But the names are not precisely
the same
as the enumerated names that sox showed when trying to make sense of
jfhgfgfjg.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own