* Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into one stereo file
@ 2015-07-04 20:39 RT
From: RT @ 2015-07-04 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: sox-users

Greetings

Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into
one stereo file

I have two stereo wav files that I would like to take the left channel of
the first audio file and take the right channel of the second audio file
and join them into one new wave file.

Here's an image to what I'm trying to do is this possible to do with sox?

http://i.imgur.com/Rwe5jWHl.jpg

https://www.gigenetcloud.com/

* Re: Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into one stereo file
@ 2015-07-05  6:34 ` Jan Stary
From: Jan Stary @ 2015-07-05  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: sox-users

On Jul 04 16:39:31, ratulloch@gmail.com wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Taking the left and right channels of two wav files and joining them into
> one stereo file
>
> I have two stereo wav files that I would like to take the left channel of
> the first audio file and take the right channel of the second audio file
> and join them into one new wave file.
>
> Here's an image to what I'm trying to do is this possible to do with sox?
> http://i.imgur.com/Rwe5jWHl.jpg

See the 'remix' effect.

@ 2015-07-05  7:02   ` RT
From: RT @ 2015-07-05  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: sox-users

thanks but the only thing I saw was

concatenates two audio files "sox −m music.mp3 voice.wav mixed.flac"

which won't do what I'm trying to do,  as you can tell from the diagram
http://i.imgur.com/Rwe5jWHl.jpg
or am I missing something?

Thanks

@ 2015-07-06  1:06 ` keghn
From: keghn @ 2015-07-06  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: sox-users

sox infile.wav outfile_left.wav remix 1
sox infile.wav outfile_right.wav remix 2

https://www.nesono.com/node/275

@ 2015-07-06  4:50   ` Erich Eckner
From: Erich Eckner @ 2015-07-06  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: sox-users

Hi,

RT wants it the other way round. What he's looking for isn't called
merge "effect", but merge "combining method" (-M):

sox -M in_left.wav in_right.wav out_stereo.mp3

Greetings,
Erich

@ 2015-07-06  5:53     ` fmiser
From: fmiser @ 2015-07-06  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: sox-users

> > keghn wrote:
> >
> > sox infile.wav outfile_left.wav remix 1
> > sox infile.wav outfile_right.wav remix 2

> Erich wrote:
>
> RT wants it the other way round. What he's looking for
> isn't called merge "effect", but merge "combining
> method" (-M):
>
> sox -M in_left.wav in_right.wav out_stereo.mp3

Except the input files are stereo.  And he wants the output
channel 1 from channel 1 from one input file and output
channel 2 from channel 2 from  the other input file.

Two stereo files merged will create a four channel file which
'remix' can then take two of those channels to create the new
two channel (stereo) output file.

-- fm

@ 2015-07-06  6:25       ` Chris Angelico
From: Chris Angelico @ 2015-07-06  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: sox-users

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 3:53 PM, fmiser <fmiser@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > keghn wrote:
>> >
>> > sox infile.wav outfile_left.wav remix 1
>> > sox infile.wav outfile_right.wav remix 2
>
>> Erich wrote:
>>
>> RT wants it the other way round. What he's looking for
>> isn't called merge "effect", but merge "combining
>> method" (-M):
>>
>> sox -M in_left.wav in_right.wav out_stereo.mp3
>
> Except the input files are stereo.  And he wants the output
> channel 1 from channel 1 from one input file and output
> channel 2 from channel 2 from  the other input file.
>
> Two stereo files merged will create a four channel file which
> 'remix' can then take two of those channels to create the new
> two channel (stereo) output file.

Or alternatively, fold the two input files down to mono, and then
merge into one output file. But I'm curious: Can this be done with a
single sox invocation? There are times when I'd like to do this too.

ChrisA

@ 2015-07-06  7:04         ` Erich Eckner
From: Erich Eckner @ 2015-07-06  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: sox-users

On 06.07.2015 08:25, Chris Angelico wrote:

>>> Erich wrote:
>>>
>>> RT wants it the other way round. What he's looking for
>>> isn't called merge "effect", but merge "combining
>>> method" (-M):
>>>
>>> sox -M in_left.wav in_right.wav out_stereo.mp3
>>
>> Except the input files are stereo.  And he wants the output
>> channel 1 from channel 1 from one input file and output
>> channel 2 from channel 2 from  the other input file.

ok, then I misinterpreted "take left and right channel of two wav files".

>> Two stereo files merged will create a four channel file which
>> 'remix' can then take two of those channels to create the new
>> two channel (stereo) output file.
>
> Or alternatively, fold the two input files down to mono, and then
> merge into one output file. But I'm curious: Can this be done with a
> single sox invocation? There are times when I'd like to do this too.
>
> ChrisA

yes and afaik no:

yes, if you count the number of commands you have to type into your
command line:
sox -M "|sox in_left.wav -p remix 1" "|sox in_right.wav -p remix 2"
out_stereo.mp3

and no, if you count the number of sox-processes actually running (the
above command will have 3, I can't think of one with less processes,
which _first_ mixes down and then merges together).

greetings,
Erich

@ 2015-07-06  7:22           ` Chris Angelico
From: Chris Angelico @ 2015-07-06  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: sox-users

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Erich Eckner <erich@eckner.net> wrote:
>> Or alternatively, fold the two input files down to mono, and then
>> merge into one output file. But I'm curious: Can this be done with a
>> single sox invocation? There are times when I'd like to do this too.
>>
>> ChrisA
>
> yes and afaik no:
>
> yes, if you count the number of commands you have to type into your
> command line:
> sox -M "|sox in_left.wav -p remix 1" "|sox in_right.wav -p remix 2"
> out_stereo.mp3
>
> and no, if you count the number of sox-processes actually running (the
> above command will have 3, I can't think of one with less processes,
> which _first_ mixes down and then merges together).

Doing it with pipes does mean that it doesn't require intermediate
storage, which is good; but what I meant by "a single invocation" was
a single process, so I guess that's not possible. No matter, the pipe
technique will serve. Thanks.

@ 2015-07-08 17:23     ` Jan Stary
From: Jan Stary @ 2015-07-08 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: sox-users

On Jul 05 03:02:11, ratulloch@gmail.com wrote:
> thanks but the only thing I saw was
> concatenates two audio files "sox ???m music.mp3 voice.wav mixed.flac"
> which won't do what I'm trying to do,  as you can tell from the diagram
> http://i.imgur.com/Rwe5jWHl.jpg
> or am I missing something?

You only looked at the Introduction of the manpage.
See the remix effect section.

https://www.gigenetcloud.com/