* using ladspa plugins
@ 2020-06-16 14:41 Andrey Trofimov
From: Andrey Trofimov @ 2020-06-16 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Hello!
I am using ubuntu on windows and I managed to install some ladspa plugins (i think), but I can’t figure out how to use them. Manual says that  “The first argument is the plugin module, the second the name of the plugin”, but how can I know the name of the module, there is no info on that anywhere.

Best regards,
Trofimov Andrey

* Re: using ladspa plugins
@ 2020-06-16 17:06 ` Mikko Olkkonen
From: Mikko Olkkonen @ 2020-06-16 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Hello, I believe that sox does not support finding/listing plugins.
Fortunately, the packet "ladspa-sdk" in ubuntu repos ship with tools:
1) listplugins          which lists the plugins you have available. For
example it lists one of my plugins as
/usr/lib/ladspa/delay.so:
2) analyseplugin      lists the plugin details e.g.
analyseplugin /usr/lib/ladspa/delay.so then lists the (input) ports of that
plugin:
"Ports: "Delay (Seconds)" input, control, 0 to 5, default 1
"Dry/Wet Balance" input, control, 0 to 1, default 0.5"
3) applypluginsox input.wav output.wav  ladspa  /usr/lib/ladspa/delay.so
delay_5s 1 .5
applies abovementioned default delay,dry/wet parameters to the plugin.
regards, Mikko

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 7:16 PM Andrey Trofimov <shmobaka@live.ru> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am using ubuntu on windows and I managed to install some ladspa plugins
> (i think), but I can’t figure out how to use them. Manual says that  “The
> first argument is the plugin module, the second the name of the plugin”, but
> how can I know the name of the module, there is no info on that anywhere.
>

> Best regards,
> Trofimov Andrey

* Re: using ladspa plugins
@ 2020-06-16 17:10   ` Mikko Olkkonen
From: Mikko Olkkonen @ 2020-06-16 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Hi, sorry my previous message was incomplete ... continues below:

3) applyplugin applies plugin to audio file.
you can do the same as sox effect as
sox input.wav output.wav  ladspa  /usr/lib/ladspa/delay.so delay_5s 1 .5
(applies abovementioned default delay,dry/wet parameters and plugin to
input.wav and writes result into output.wav)
regards, Mikko

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 8:06 PM Mikko Olkkonen <molkko@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I believe that sox does not support finding/listing plugins.
> Fortunately, the packet "ladspa-sdk" in ubuntu repos ship with tools:
> 1) listplugins          which lists the plugins you have available. For
> example it lists one of my plugins as
> /usr/lib/ladspa/delay.so:
> 2) analyseplugin      lists the plugin details e.g.
> analyseplugin /usr/lib/ladspa/delay.so then lists the (input) ports of
> that plugin:
> "Ports: "Delay (Seconds)" input, control, 0 to 5, default 1
> "Dry/Wet Balance" input, control, 0 to 1, default 0.5"
> 3) applypluginsox input.wav output.wav  ladspa  /usr/lib/ladspa/delay.so
> delay_5s 1 .5
> applies abovementioned default delay,dry/wet parameters to the plugin.
> regards, Mikko
>
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 7:16 PM Andrey Trofimov <shmobaka@live.ru> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I am using ubuntu on windows and I managed to install some ladspa plugins
>> (i think), but I can’t figure out how to use them. Manual says that  “The
>> first argument is the plugin module, the second the name of the plugin”, but
>> how can I know the name of the module, there is no info on that anywhere.
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Trofimov Andrey

* Re: using ladspa plugins
@ 2020-06-16 17:12 ` Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users
From: Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users @ 2020-06-16 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On 2020-06-16 15:41, Andrey Trofimov wrote:
> Hello!
> I am using ubuntu on windows and I managed to install some ladspa
> plugins (i think), but I can’t figure out how to use them. Manual says
> that  “The first argument is the plugin module, the second the name of
> the plugin”, but how can I know the name of the module, there is no
> info on that anywhere.

If it isn't a stupid questions, why would you try to run sox under
ubuntu on windows (if that's what you mean) rather than just run the
Windows version of sox?  Surely running sox under the host OS is
simpler?

Secondly, you say you maybe managed to install some ladspa plugins.
Surely you know whether you did or you didn't?

What did you do, under which OS, to install them?   Did you use a
package manager under ubuntu?  Surely if you did there are commands
in ubuntu which will tell you what was installed and where to?

Or did you just manually download some files?  And do something with
them?  If so, what files, from where, and what did you do with them?

If you can't say what you did, nor whether it seemed to work, it's
going to be hard for anyone else to tell you what to do.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own

* Re: using ladspa plugins
@ 2020-06-17  9:48   ` Andrey Trofimov
From: Andrey Trofimov @ 2020-06-17  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Thank you, Mikko, you’re very helpful , everything works!

I couldn’t find a way to install ladspa plugins on windows (except for a few exceptions) so I resorted to using Ubuntu on windows (you can just turn on Windows Subsystem for Linux in windows features and download Ubuntu from Microsoft store, it’s quite convenient).

I installed some packages that had “ladspa” in their name, and .so files appeared on the usr/lib/ladspa, but I couldn’t test them out so I was not quite sure if I managed to install them. I also downloaded some .so files and put them in the folder, but those still don’t seem to work .

Best regards,
Trofimov Andrey