* Help With SoX
@ 2018-04-08 10:52 parikshit hooda
From: parikshit hooda @ 2018-04-08 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sox-users

Hello all!
I am new to this community and I feel awesome being a part of this
community.
I am developing a Node application which needs to convert any audio format
to WAV 16bit mono 8MHz.
Can anyone provide me with the command on how to do that.
I have searched through the documentation and couldn't find what I was
looking for.
Thanks in advance.
--
Regards
Parikshit Hooda

* Re: Help With SoX
@ 2018-04-08 11:23 ` Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users
From: Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users @ 2018-04-08 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On 2018-04-08 11:52, parikshit hooda wrote:
> Hello all!
> I am new to this community and I feel awesome being a part of this
> community.
> I am developing a Node application which needs to convert any audio
> format
> to WAV 16bit mono 8MHz.
> Can anyone provide me with the command on how to do that.
> I have searched through the documentation and couldn't find what I was
> looking for.

What did you try?

If it comes to that, what is "Node"?  Is that (quick google) Node.js?

Can you issue commands to your host OS from that?

What happens when you issue: sox -h

Are you trying to convert audio that's already in a file, or something
that's happening at the time (in which case the answer's going to depend
on how you id audio devices under whatever OS you are using).

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own

* Re: Help With SoX
@ 2018-04-08 13:05 ` Mikko Olkkonen
From: Mikko Olkkonen @ 2018-04-08 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Can you wait until you have the audio in input.wav and then issue node
exec() with sox input.wav -b 16 -r 8000 output.wav channels 1
regards, M

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 1:52 PM, parikshit hooda <phooda804@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all!
> I am new to this community and I feel awesome being a part of this
> community.
> I am developing a Node application which needs to convert any audio format
> to WAV 16bit mono 8MHz.
> Can anyone provide me with the command on how to do that.
> I have searched through the documentation and couldn't find what I was
> looking for.
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Regards
> Parikshit Hooda
> DTU

* Re: Help With SoX
@ 2018-04-08 13:08   ` parikshit hooda
From: parikshit hooda @ 2018-04-08 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Actually, I am requiring the user to upload input file in any format. I
know that we can convert between different audio formats but I don't know
how. Wait, let me send you the code.

Regards
Parikshit Hooda

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018, 6:36 pm Mikko Olkkonen, <molkko@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you wait until you have the audio in input.wav and then issue node
> exec() with sox input.wav -b 16 -r 8000 output.wav channels 1
> regards, M
>

> On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 1:52 PM, parikshit hooda <phooda804@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello all!
>> I am new to this community and I feel awesome being a part of this
>> community.
>> I am developing a Node application which needs to convert any audio
>> format to WAV 16bit mono 8MHz.
>> Can anyone provide me with the command on how to do that.
>> I have searched through the documentation and couldn't find what I was
>> looking for.
>> Thanks in advance.
>> --
>> Regards
>> Parikshit Hooda
>> DTU

* Re: Help With SoX
@ 2018-04-08 13:40     ` Mikko Olkkonen
From: Mikko Olkkonen @ 2018-04-08 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

If the input file is properly closed and available (Refer to Jeremy's
comment) it should be ok whatever is its format as long as the format is
supported i.e. you should be ok to substitute my "input.wav" with whatever
is your input filename/format.
regards, M

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 4:08 PM, parikshit hooda <phooda804@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, I am requiring the user to upload input file in any format. I
> know that we can convert between different audio formats but I don't know
> how. Wait, let me send you the code.
>
> Regards
> Parikshit Hooda
>
> On Sun, 8 Apr 2018, 6:36 pm Mikko Olkkonen, <molkko@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can you wait until you have the audio in input.wav and then issue node
>> exec() with sox input.wav -b 16 -r 8000 output.wav channels 1
>> regards, M
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 1:52 PM, parikshit hooda <phooda804@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all!
>>> I am new to this community and I feel awesome being a part of this
>>> community.
>>> I am developing a Node application which needs to convert any audio
>>> format to WAV 16bit mono 8MHz.
>>> Can anyone provide me with the command on how to do that.
>>> I have searched through the documentation and couldn't find what I was
>>> looking for.
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>> Parikshit Hooda
>>> DTU

* Re: Help With SoX
@ 2018-04-08 14:22       ` parikshit hooda
From: parikshit hooda @ 2018-04-08 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

I checked out in the SOx manual that if we have to convert MP3 files to wav
format we have to proceed with the SOx installation differently like
something related to source scripts and lame encoder and things like that
so I wanted to ask if that is the way to go or I can just figure out
something with the normal installation.

Regards
Parikshit Hooda

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018, 7:10 pm Mikko Olkkonen, <molkko@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the input file is properly closed and available (Refer to Jeremy's
> comment) it should be ok whatever is its format as long as the format is
> supported i.e. you should be ok to substitute my "input.wav" with whatever
> is your input filename/format.
> regards, M
>
> On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 4:08 PM, parikshit hooda <phooda804@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Actually, I am requiring the user to upload input file in any format. I
>> know that we can convert between different audio formats but I don't know
>> how. Wait, let me send you the code.
>>
>> Regards
>> Parikshit Hooda
>>
>> On Sun, 8 Apr 2018, 6:36 pm Mikko Olkkonen, <molkko@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Can you wait until you have the audio in input.wav and then issue node
>>> exec() with sox input.wav -b 16 -r 8000 output.wav channels 1
>>> regards, M

* Re: Help With SoX
@ 2018-04-08 14:54         ` Mikko Olkkonen
From: Mikko Olkkonen @ 2018-04-08 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

okay. I have the same "use case". I am doing it this way:  mpg123 -w
output.wav input.mp3; sox  output.wav -b 16 -r 8000 output2.wav channels 1
....  i.e. I am using another program to turn mp3 to wav before sox
processing. I dont know if this approach is applicable in your case. I dont
know how to build/configure sox so that one could do this entirely with
sox. Good luck.
br, Mikko

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 5:22 PM, parikshit hooda <phooda804@gmail.com> wrote:

> I checked out in the SOx manual that if we have to convert MP3 files to
> wav format we have to proceed with the SOx installation differently like
> something related to source scripts and lame encoder and things like that
> so I wanted to ask if that is the way to go or I can just figure out
> something with the normal installation.
>
> Regards
> Parikshit Hooda
>
> On Sun, 8 Apr 2018, 7:10 pm Mikko Olkkonen, <molkko@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If the input file is properly closed and available (Refer to Jeremy's
>> comment) it should be ok whatever is its format as long as the format is
>> supported i.e. you should be ok to substitute my "input.wav" with whatever
>> is your input filename/format.
>> regards, M
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 4:08 PM, parikshit hooda <phooda804@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, I am requiring the user to upload input file in any format. I
>>> know that we can convert between different audio formats but I don't know
>>> how. Wait, let me send you the code.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Parikshit Hooda

* Re: Help With SoX
@ 2018-04-08 14:59           ` parikshit hooda
From: parikshit hooda @ 2018-04-08 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Can you tell me how you are converting MP3 to wav? Maybe I will do the same.

Regards
Parikshit Hooda

* Re: Help With SoX
@ 2018-04-08 15:12             ` Mikko Olkkonen
From: Mikko Olkkonen @ 2018-04-08 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

That "mpg123 -w output.wav input.mp3" above.

* Re: Help With SoX
@ 2018-04-09  4:20         ` Glenn English
From: Glenn English @ 2018-04-09  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 2:22 PM, parikshit hooda <phooda804@gmail.com> wrote:

> I checked out in the SoX manual that if we have to convert MP3 files to wav
> format we have to proceed with the SoX installation differently like
> something related to source scripts and lame encoder and things like that so
> I wanted to ask if that is the way to go or I can just figure out something
> with the normal installation.

Hmm. I've never tried to convert mp3s to wavs. But I've converted a
lot of wavs to flacs and mp3s to flacs and flacs to mp3. All I've
done, IIRC, is give SoX the file extensions (ones SoX knows how to
deal with), and it figures things out by itself.

As I understand the dox, that that's the way to do it. I'm using the
normal Debian binary install, BTW -- lame seems to be part of the
package. Damn thing just works.

I've never tried to set the parameters of the output mp3 files,
though. SoX's defaults have done very nicely for me. On the input, it
seems to just figure out how things are set.

I'm also a bit of a SoX noob, so if I'm doing something wrong, I'd
sure like to know about it...

--
Glenn English