* Is Sox a good choice as the backend for a Music Player?
@ 2018-12-16 23:34 Joshua Hartwell
       [not found] ` <99079b5ee88b913488369fd7af8d9a5c@bayern-mail.de>
From: Joshua Hartwell @ 2018-12-16 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Hi all:

I have written a cross-platform music player. (http://hypnosplayer.org). It
current relies upon VLC to do its audio-decoding, but I have some issues
there and I don't like using a library that's so heavy to decode audio.

I came across Sox as a potential suitable replacement, but I have no
familiarity with the project. Do you think it could be a good backend for
this project?

Thanks!

Josh Hartwell

* Re: Is Sox a good choice as the backend for a Music Player?
@ 2018-12-17 22:17 ` Eric Wong
       [not found] ` <99079b5ee88b913488369fd7af8d9a5c@bayern-mail.de>
From: Eric Wong @ 2018-12-17 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Joshua Hartwell <jhartwell@gmail.com> wrote:
> I came across Sox as a potential suitable replacement, but I have no
> familiarity with the project. Do you think it could be a good backend for
> this project?

I use it for dtas (duct-tape audio suite) which includes dtas-player
and it's great (gapless playback, lots of formats and effects
with live-EQ/compander/any-other-effects-supported-by-sox-or-ladspa):

	git clone https://80x24.org/dtas.git

It's heavily-dependent on *nix pipes and process management,
though.  I assume libsox is nice for cross-platform use, too;
since the sox(1) command uses it.  But I prefer to do my
work in scripting languages rather than C whenever possible.

@ 2018-12-19  9:17   ` Thomas Förster
From: Thomas Förster @ 2018-12-19  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users, Joshua Hartwell

Hi Josh,

my recommendation: Go for it! It is a better way for audio than VLC. If
you are interested in a more special way of "pure" audio, use a
cross-plattform realtime project like rtaudio:
http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtaudio/

Regards
Thomas