From: Glenn English <ghe2001@gmail.com>
To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Help With SoX
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 04:20:18 +0000	[thread overview]

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 2:22 PM, parikshit hooda <phooda804@gmail.com> wrote:

> I checked out in the SoX manual that if we have to convert MP3 files to wav
> format we have to proceed with the SoX installation differently like
> something related to source scripts and lame encoder and things like that so
> I wanted to ask if that is the way to go or I can just figure out something
> with the normal installation.

Hmm. I've never tried to convert mp3s to wavs. But I've converted a
lot of wavs to flacs and mp3s to flacs and flacs to mp3. All I've
done, IIRC, is give SoX the file extensions (ones SoX knows how to
deal with), and it figures things out by itself.

As I understand the dox, that that's the way to do it. I'm using the
normal Debian binary install, BTW -- lame seems to be part of the
package. Damn thing just works.

I've never tried to set the parameters of the output mp3 files,
though. SoX's defaults have done very nicely for me. On the input, it
seems to just figure out how things are set.

I'm also a bit of a SoX noob, so if I'm doing something wrong, I'd
sure like to know about it...

--
Glenn English