I'm converting mid-side to LR. Originally I used this: sox $MS $LR gain -0.5 : remix -m 1,2 1,2i but found that the result does not have an important property of mid-side: when summed to mono, the effect does not cancel out. I changed it to this: sox $MS $LR remix -m 1,2 1,2i : gain -0.5 and it works as expected. Why is there a difference? Note that there is no clipping going on in either case. My intuition says that MS->LR is linear, so gain applied before or after should have the same effect. Thanks! Jeff