Well I bet I didn't really mean to use negative gain! But I think that shouldn't affect the question. On Sat, 30 May 2020 at 14:46, Jeff Learman wrote: > I'm converting mid-side to LR. Originally I used this: > > sox $MS $LR gain -0.5 : remix -m 1,2 1,2i > > but found that the result does not have an important property of mid-side: > when summed to mono, the effect does not cancel out. > I changed it to this: > > sox $MS $LR remix -m 1,2 1,2i : gain -0.5 > > and it works as expected. Why is there a difference? Note that there is > no clipping going on in either case. My intuition says that MS->LR is > linear, so gain applied before or after should have the same effect. > > Thanks! > Jeff > >