From: Matthew Mitcheltree <m.mitcheltree@gmail.com>
To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Basic questions on SoX for Mac OS
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2019 11:29:07 -0500

Hi there,

A chemist and musician here – a project of mine to convert NMR FID signals
to WAV audio files has brought me to SoX (via:
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-convert-a-CSV-file-to-a-wav-file). Toward
that end, I've generated a 1-channel .dat file with normalized amplitude
values and 9.615 kHz sample rate as input for SoX. The issue I'm running
into has everything to do with my limited literacy with command line, a
lack of rudimentary documentation from SoX on installation and operation,
or a little of both.

I'm running on a Mac, and have the SoX v14.4.2 package in my Downloads
directory. I copied the input.dat file to Downloads > sox-14.4.2 as well.
So when I launch terminal, navigate there, and enter "sox input.dat
output.wav," I get the error:

-bash: sox: command not found

So, maybe I need to install SoX, as this thread would have me believe (
https://sourceforge.net/p/sox/mailman/sox-users/thread/col102-w436DF8E69EB76243646E30C3CF0%40phx.gbl/#msg27208706).
But I admit I can't find how to do that. Am I on the right track?

Any guidance you all can offer would go a long way. SoX seems to have
capabilities valuable to people with skills far afield from computer
programming, so I wonder whether a "SoX guide for command-line beginners"
would be a welcome addition to the program documentation?

Thank you!
Matt