* SOX: Converting VOX to WAV or MP3
@ 2021-01-28 21:26 Mike Schleif
From: Mike Schleif @ 2021-01-28 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

We have a call center that records conversations in VOX files, and will be
submitting many of these files to us for review.

We store sales recordings in an AWS database, and stream them to our
support team via an intranet web page. This web page cannot play VOX files.

I found SOX, which recognizes the VOX files, and converts them to WAV
files. However, the recorded voices sound like chipmunks.

I understand that VOX is headerless; therefore, SOX cannot know the
parameters used to record these files. Neither does our client.

Which SOX conversion parameters ought we try to render these WAV files
listenable?

Please, advise. Thank you.

~ Mike

* Re: SOX: Converting VOX to WAV or MP3
@ 2021-01-28 23:08 ` Graff, David E
From: Graff, David E @ 2021-01-28 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Most likely you'll need to set the sample rate for the input data (the "-r ..." option) -- typical values are 8000, 10000, 11025, 16000, 22050, 24000, 36000, 44100, 48000. Pick the one that sounds best.

  Dave Graff

From: Mike Schleif <sox@mdsresource.net>
Date: Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 4:27 PM
To: "sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net" <sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [SoX-users] SOX: Converting VOX to WAV or MP3

@ 2021-01-29 11:52   ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2021-01-29 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graff, David E; +Cc: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

"Graff, David E" <graff@ldc.upenn.edu> writes:
>> We have a call center that records conversations in VOX files, and will be
>> submitting many of these files to us for review.
>>
>> We store sales recordings in an AWS database, and stream them to our support
>> team via an intranet web page. This web page cannot play VOX files.
>>
>> I found SOX, which recognizes the VOX files, and converts them to WAV
>> files. However, the recorded voices sound like chipmunks.
>>
>> I understand that VOX is headerless; therefore, SOX cannot know the
>> parameters used to record these files. Neither does our client.
>>
>> Which SOX conversion parameters ought we try to render these WAV files
>> listenable?
>>
>> Please, advise. Thank you.

> Most likely you'll need to set the sample rate for the input data (the "-r
> ..." option) -- typical values are 8000, 10000, 11025, 16000, 22050, 24000,
> 36000, 44100, 48000. Pick the one that sounds best.

For phone recordings, 8000 is a likely bet.

--
Måns Rullgård