* Sine wave in an envelope
@ 2020-06-03 11:38 Darryl Lewis
From: Darryl Lewis @ 2020-06-03 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Is there a way using sox to generate and modulate a sine wave with another sine wave.

So that the first sine wave plays in the envelope of the second,   similar to this image
https://d2mvzyuse3lwjc.cloudfront.net/doc/en/UserGuide/images/Envelope/400px-PID1643_envelope.png?v=0

Thanks in advance.
--

Darryl Lewis

* Re: Sine wave in an envelope
@ 2020-06-03 14:33 ` Dr. Thomas Tensi
From: Dr. Thomas Tensi @ 2020-06-03 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Hello Darryl,

you wrote:
 > [modulate a sine wave with another in SoX?]

What you could do as an easy approach is modulate a sine wave with a
tremolo. Assume a target bit depth of 24bit, a sample rate of 44.1kHz, a
carrier of 1500Hz with a length of 20s and a modulation of 0.5Hz with a
depth of 100%

   sox -n -b 24 -r 44100 test.wav synth 20 sine 1500 tremolo 0.5 100

Tremolo can only do a sine modulation with a fixed phase of 90°.

Even more powerful is the cascading of synth effects. Same logic, the
carrier is amplitude-modulated by a sine with 0.5Hz with the same 20s
length:

   sox -n -b 24 -r 44100 test.wav synth 20 sine 1500 synth 20 sine amod 0.5

If you don't want a full modulation (from 0 to 100%), you can add a
dc-offset to the second waveform.

Hope this helps!

       Best regards,

                 Thomas

* Re: Sine wave in an envelope
@ 2020-06-03 15:05   ` Darryl Lewis
From: Darryl Lewis @ 2020-06-03 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Thanks Dr Tensi,
Those examples are fantasic and give me a great base to work from.

Kind regards
Darryl

On 4/6/20, 12:34 am, "Dr. Thomas Tensi" <t.tensi@gmx.de> wrote:

    Hello Darryl,

@ 2020-06-03 15:13     ` Dr. Thomas Tensi
From: Dr. Thomas Tensi @ 2020-06-03 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Hello Darryl,

you wrote:
 > [Dr Tensi...]

I am always flattered when somebody uses my academic title, but here in
a forum my first name is good enough. So I am fine with "Thomas".

 > Those examples are fantasic and give me a great base to work from.

Fine, if the examples help you.  Feel free to ask, if you need further
assistance.

	Best regards,

		Thomas (!)

--
Dr. Thomas Tensi, Paganinistraße 60, 81247 München

* Re: Sine wave in an envelope
@ 2020-06-07 21:05   ` Jeff Learman
From: Jeff Learman @ 2020-06-07 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Hi, I'm trying to do a very similar thing but modulating the audio from a
file.  I want to produce a stereo tremolo by using the sine amod effect,
out of phase on the left and right channels.
LEN=0
OFFSET=0
PHASE=0
PHASE2=180
The following works for mono, producing the desired tremolo in mono:  sox
rd73_064__E4_082.flac x.flac synth $LEN $OFFSET $PHASE 2 sine amod 0.5
I thought the following would work for stereo: sox rd73_064__E4_082.flac
x.flac synth $LEN $OFFSET $PHASE2 2 sine amod $LEN $OFFSET $PHASE2

but I get a parameter error.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 at 10:34, Dr. Thomas Tensi <t.tensi@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello Darryl,
>

> you wrote:
>  > [modulate a sine wave with another in SoX?]
>
> What you could do as an easy approach is modulate a sine wave with a
> tremolo. Assume a target bit depth of 24bit, a sample rate of 44.1kHz, a
> carrier of 1500Hz with a length of 20s and a modulation of 0.5Hz with a
> depth of 100%
>
>    sox -n -b 24 -r 44100 test.wav synth 20 sine 1500 tremolo 0.5 100
>
> Tremolo can only do a sine modulation with a fixed phase of 90°.
>
> Even more powerful is the cascading of synth effects. Same logic, the
> carrier is amplitude-modulated by a sine with 0.5Hz with the same 20s
> length:
>
>    sox -n -b 24 -r 44100 test.wav synth 20 sine 1500 synth 20 sine amod 0.5
>
> If you don't want a full modulation (from 0 to 100%), you can add a
> dc-offset to the second waveform.
>
> Hope this helps!
>

>        Best regards,
>
>                  Thomas

* Re: Sine wave in an envelope
@ 2020-06-08 11:11     ` Dr. Thomas Tensi
From: Dr. Thomas Tensi @ 2020-06-08 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Hello Jeff,

you wrote:
 > > [similar problem as amplitude modulating a sine wave]
 > I want to produce a stereo tremolo by using the sine amod
 > effect, out of phase on the left and right channels.

I am not sure whether this can be done in one command, but you could
modulate the channels into left and right mono versions and combine
(merge) the file into a stereo file. I assume that your source is in mono?
To paraphrase your solution:

-----
INFILE=rd73_064__E4_082.flac
OUTFILE=x.flac
tempfileLeft=left.flac
tempfileRight=right.flac

LEN=0
OFFSET=0
phaseLeft=0
phaseRight=180

# sox command fragments
tremPrefix=synth $LEN $OFFSET
tremSuffix=2 sine amod 0.5

sox $INFILE $tempfileLeft  $tremPrefix $phaseLeft  $tremSuffix
sox $INFILE $tempfileRight $tremPrefix $phaseRight $tremSuffix
sox -M $tempfileLeft $tempfileRight $OUTFILE
-----

Is this what you wanted?

         Best regards,

                 Thomas

* Re: Sine wave in an envelope
@ 2020-06-08 12:20       ` Jeff Learman
From: Jeff Learman @ 2020-06-08 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas, sox-users

Thanks.  Actually I'll have both mono and stereo cases, but was asking
about the stereo case.  Of course I can split the stereo into two mono
files.  I was hoping to do it in one line, which was the real question here
-- the synth effect documentation says it can operate differently on
different channels but I couldn't figure how to make that work.

Jeff

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 at 07:13, Dr. Thomas Tensi <t.tensi@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello Jeff,
>

> you wrote:
>  > > [similar problem as amplitude modulating a sine wave]
>  > I want to produce a stereo tremolo by using the sine amod
>  > effect, out of phase on the left and right channels.
>
> I am not sure whether this can be done in one command, but you could
> modulate the channels into left and right mono versions and combine
> (merge) the file into a stereo file. I assume that your source is in mono?
> To paraphrase your solution:
>
> -----
> INFILE=rd73_064__E4_082.flac
> OUTFILE=x.flac
> tempfileLeft=left.flac
> tempfileRight=right.flac
>
> LEN=0
> OFFSET=0
> phaseLeft=0
> phaseRight=180
>
> # sox command fragments
> tremPrefix=synth $LEN $OFFSET
> tremSuffix=2 sine amod 0.5
>
> sox $INFILE $tempfileLeft  $tremPrefix $phaseLeft  $tremSuffix
> sox $INFILE $tempfileRight $tremPrefix $phaseRight $tremSuffix
> sox -M $tempfileLeft $tempfileRight $OUTFILE
> -----
>
> Is this what you wanted?
>

>          Best regards,
>
>                  Thomas

* Re: Sine wave in an envelope
@ 2020-06-08 15:13         ` Dr. Thomas Tensi
From: Dr. Thomas Tensi @ 2020-06-08 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Hello Jeff,

you wrote:
 > Actually I'll have both mono and stereo cases, but was asking
 > about the stereo case.  Of course I can split the stereo into two mono
 > files.  I was hoping to do it in one line, which was the real question
 > here -- the synth effect documentation says it can operate differently
 > on different channels but I couldn't figure how to make that work.

Okay, I see what you mean in the documentation for "synth" where it says
"Audio for each channel in a multi-channel audio file can be synthesised
independently".

Hmm.  I haven't checked the code, but my gut feeling is that this
multiple channel setting of the synth effect only works for _creating_
waves in different channels.

As soon as you don't have "create" as the combine operation (in your
case it is "amod)" it is hard to find out for sox whether the combine
operator should apply to the input or some previous waveform.

In general and in my opinion, sox is not very good at doing some
specific processing on single channels of an input file as in your case.
  One similar example would be a parallel compression ("New York City
compression") where a compressed signal is combined with the original:
as far as I know this only can be done with a temporary file.

          Best regards,

                  Thomas

* Re: Sine wave in an envelope
@ 2020-06-08 19:24         ` Jeff Learman