Thanks for the reply! > Most intructions seems to be on Os and it is quite hard to find I meant for macOS, sorry Scrolling through the manual but It still seems that I cannot use the normal rec I cant just write rec but have to use sox -t waveaudio .. (as you suggested. Same thing with play. Tried this in the command prompt: play SC_191028_105931.aiff and get the message >'play' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. When I write sox in the prompt I get a lot of information but this kind of line stood out: >sox FAIL sox: Not enough input filenames specified Not sure if I have to worry about that. Sent from Mail for Windows 10 ________________________________ From: Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 1:36:00 PM To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net Subject: Re: [SoX-users] basic help with SoX on windows 10 On 2019-10-29 08:56, Nils Wallgren wrote: > Hi, I am new to SoX and can’t really figure out how to understand > where things save. I ran this in my command prompt in windows > > sox -t waveaudio -d new-file.wav It's like other commands in Windows; if you don't specify a fully pathed filename then it uses whatever Windows thinks is the current working directory. It's far better to be specific, eg sox -t waveaudio -d "C:\this\that\other\new-file.wav" > Most intructions seems to be on Os and it is quite hard to find > instructions of the basics for windows. You can get the PDF manual for sox (and soxi, which can also be useful) at http://sox.sourceforge.net/Docs/Documentation You don't have to read the whole manual - ie you don't need to read about all the different effects, but you do need to understand the basic command syntax and the information about how sox goes about doing things. I'd suggest you start by reading the first 14 pages or so. I don't know what you mean by "on Os". Most (all?) of the examples will work as shown, on Windows. > Do I have to type sox before anything I want to do with sox in the > command prompt? How do I start a recording and stop it? Typing the sox command starts sox, either to make a recording, or (if that's already been done and you tell it to process a existing file) to start doing things to that file. See "Stopping sox" on p6 of the manual. -- Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own _______________________________________________ Sox-users mailing list Sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sox-users