* batchfile for setting up SoX for Mikrophone-->---LAN--------Soundcard realtime audio-transmission
@ 2021-04-22 19:13 Stefan Ludwig via Sox-users
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Stefan Ludwig via Sox-users @ 2021-04-22 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users; +Cc: Stefan Ludwig

Hello,

this seems to be the only place to ask for help. So I#m doing:

I would like to use SoX for this scenario

me speaking ----->  inbuild micrphone of my tablet (Windows 10)
---------->----------LAN------->---------second
PC----->------soundcard---->----Amplifier------>Speaker ----> my words
as *realtime* audio

If I understand right I have to setup IP-adresses and ports.

Is there somewhere a collection of batch-files or a parameterlists that
show which parameters and options I have to use for this?

best regards Stefan

* Re: batchfile for setting up SoX for Mikrophone-->---LAN--------Soundcard realtime audio-transmission
@ 2021-04-22 19:19 ` Stuart Naylor
From: Stuart Naylor @ 2021-04-22 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Sox is great for audio augmentation, for broadcast ffmpeg is probably easier as its built in.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/StreamingGuide and use the -a ‘audio’ filters

@ 2021-04-23  6:15 ` Robert Jeffares
From: Robert Jeffares @ 2021-04-23  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Hi Stefan,

you will have a delay in your scenario so REALTIME may be several
seconds behind ACTUALTIME [me speaking] depending on myriad factors at
the send and receive end plus the LAN transition time. There are some
digital real time solutions that are close to analog all Propriteary
Hardware based AFAIK.

On 23/04/21 7:13 am, Stefan Ludwig via Sox-users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this seems to be the only place to ask for help. So I#m doing:
>
> I would like to use SoX for this scenario
>
> me speaking ----->  inbuild micrphone of my tablet (Windows 10)
> ---------->----------LAN------->---------second
> PC----->------soundcard---->----Amplifier------>Speaker ----> my words
> as *realtime* audio
>
> If I understand right I have to setup IP-adresses and ports.
>
> Is there somewhere a collection of batch-files or a parameterlists
> that show which parameters and options I have to use for this?
>
> best regards Stefan

Robert Jeffares
Communication Consultants
64 Warner Park Avenue
Laingholm
Auckland
New Zealand 0604
+64 9 817 6358

* Re: batchfile for setting up SoX for Mikrophone-->---LAN--------Soundcard realtime audio-transmission
@ 2021-04-24 18:31 ` Jan Stary
       [not found]   ` <aab2bf19-06da-9846-1e55-fbf2337c5a63@mailbox.org>
From: Jan Stary @ 2021-04-24 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On Apr 22 21:13:48, sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> I would like to use SoX for this scenario
> me speaking ----->  inbuild micrphone of my tablet (Windows 10)
> ---------->----------LAN------->---------second
> PC----->------soundcard---->----Amplifier------>Speaker ----> my words as
> *realtime* audio

I don't think this is a sox problem: any other audio application
will have to fit into that scenario similarly.

> If I understand right I have to setup IP-adresses and ports.

Well, obviously, if you want to send data over LAN.
This has nothing to do with SoX.

> Is there somewhere a collection of batch-files or a parameterlists
> that show which parameters and options I have to use for this?

No.

I you just want to send the audio unchanged to another machine,
SoX might not even be the tool for you: you just need one machine
to record, and send the data to the other machine (as you would
send any other data), and have the other machine play it back.

It this wasn't windows, I would put a one-liner here
that does exactly that.

Jan

@ 2021-04-25 14:51     ` Jan Stary
From: Jan Stary @ 2021-04-25 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On Apr 25 15:54:13, dipl-ing.ludwig@mailbox.org wrote:
> Am 24.04.2021 um 20:31 schrieb Jan Stary:
> > On Apr 22 21:13:48, sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> > > I would like to use SoX for this scenario
> > > me speaking ----->  inbuild micrphone of my tablet (Windows 10)
> > > ---------->----------LAN------->---------second
> > > PC----->------soundcard---->----Amplifier------>Speaker ----> my words as
> > > *realtime* audio
> > I don't think this is a sox problem: any other audio application
> > will have to fit into that scenario similarly.
> >
> > > If I understand right I have to setup IP-adresses and ports.
> > Well, obviously, if you want to send data over LAN.
> > This has nothing to do with SoX.
> >
> > > Is there somewhere a collection of batch-files or a parameterlists
> > > that show which parameters and options I have to use for this?
> > No.
> >
> > I you just want to send the audio unchanged to another machine,
> > SoX might not even be the tool for you: you just need one machine
> > to record, and send the data to the other machine (as you would
> > send any other data), and have the other machine play it back.
> >
> > It this wasn't windows, I would put a one-liner here
> > that does exactly that.
> >
> > Jan
> I have found this website
> https://www.streamingmediaglobal.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/DIY-Rudimentary-Audio-Streaming-124222.aspx?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=iti%20roundup
>
> Which shows how to do it with SoX. But it seems a description for how to do
> it on Linux-machines

Surprise: rec | nc

rec reads from a device and writes to stdout;
netcat reads from stdin and writes to a socket;
the opposite happens on the other end: nc | play.

On systems that have standard tools for fundamental things
(such as: read your input and send it down a network socket)
this is indeed a one-liner. But you are on windows;
maybe windows also has a netcat, I don't know.

Also note that this is not specific to SoX:
it could be arec/aplay with ALSA, or aucat/aucat on OpenBSD,
or any other program capable of recording/playback.

	Jan

* Re: batchfile for setting up SoX for Mikrophone-->---LAN--------Soundcard realtime audio-transmission
@ 2021-04-25 16:00       ` Stefan Ludwig via Sox-users
From: Stefan Ludwig via Sox-users @ 2021-04-25 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sox-users; +Cc: Stefan Ludwig

Hi Jan,

thank you very much for explaining that.

I'm not familiar with linux.
So I have to look if windows has a netcat equivalent.

Ideal would be a software which works:    install -  start -  adjust
IP_adress / port    -   works.

Maybe I will just use a good old analog microphone / amplifier and a
looong speaker-cable

best regards Stefan

@ 2021-04-25 16:43         ` Jan Stary
From: Jan Stary @ 2021-04-25 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Ludwig via Sox-users

On Apr 25 18:00:30, sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> I'm not familiar with linux.

It's not specific to linux, an UNIX-like system
will have something like that.

> So I have to look if windows has a netcat equivalent.

Yes. And perhaps a native recordin/playing application.

> Ideal would be a software which works: install

Please note that on many systems there is nothing to install.
Recoding and playing sound is largely considered a part of
general-purpose computing, so the system will already have
a tool that records/plays.

> -  start -  adjust IP_adress / port

Just to rule out a misunderstanding: you don't "adjust"
your IP address; you machine has one.

Coming from windows, you might find it interesting that the two
separate pieces of that task (namely, recording/playing sound and
sending data accross a network) are performed by two separate
tools that have nothing to do with each other, and have no
knowledege they are working in such accord. In rec | nc,
rec has no idea where the recorded data goes, and nc has
no idea where the data came from (and that it is audio data);
each is just doing it's separate job.

> Maybe I will just use a good old analog microphone / amplifier
> and a looong speaker-cable

Why is it actualy that you need to record on one computer
and play it out on another?

	Jan

* windows 10 setting up SoX for live-streaming Mikrophone-->---LAN--------Soundcard realtime audio-transmission
@ 2021-04-25 17:06           ` Stefan Ludwig via Sox-users
From: Stefan Ludwig via Sox-users @ 2021-04-25 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sox-users; +Cc: Stefan Ludwig

Am 25.04.2021 um 18:43 schrieb Jan Stary:
> On Apr 25 18:00:30, sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
>> I'm not familiar with linux.
> It's not specific to linux, an UNIX-like system
> will have something like that.
>
>> So I have to look if windows has a netcat equivalent.
> Yes. And perhaps a native recordin/playing application.
>
>> Ideal would be a software which works: install
> Please note that on many systems there is nothing to install.
> Recoding and playing sound is largely considered a part of
> general-purpose computing, so the system will already have
> a tool that records/plays.
>
>> -  start -  adjust IP_adress / port
> Just to rule out a misunderstanding: you don't "adjust"
> your IP address; you machine has one.
I meant tell the sending PC the IP-adress of the receiving PC
> Coming from windows, you might find it interesting that the two
> separate pieces of that task (namely, recording/playing sound and
> sending data accross a network) are performed by two separate
> tools that have nothing to do with each other, and have no
> knowledege they are working in such accord. In rec | nc,
> rec has no idea where the recorded data goes, and nc has
> no idea where the data came from (and that it is audio data);
> each is just doing it's separate job.
>
>> Maybe I will just use a good old analog microphone / amplifier
>> and a looong speaker-cable
> Why is it actualy that you need to record on one computer
> and play it out on another?
>
> 	Jan
Ah ! I forgot to write about the real situation: *live*-streaming across
the local network.

I'm working as a teacher and have to teach a class that is separated
into two halfs
each half in its own room to limit the number of persons per room.

I'm forced to use Big Blue Button as the video-conference solution.
Though the bandwidth of the internetconnection and/or the
server-"bandwidth" to process the video-sreaming-data
for a lot of conferences at the same time.   Is limited which causes
lagging of the audio.

Under this circumstances (small bandwidth/overloaded server)   Big Blue
Button is more like a   Little-Black-Hole
that disrupts the data into nowhere-nexus  ;-)

So I'm searching for an alternative for "*live*-streaming the audio.
If the rooms are next to each other an oldfashioned analog microphone
connected to an oldfashioned analog amplifyer
with a 50m long speaker-cable has 0 Milliseconds latency and is
"rock-stable" as a neutron-star

* Re: windows 10 setting up SoX for live-streaming Mikrophone-->---LAN--------Soundcard realtime audio-transmission
@ 2021-04-26 10:47             ` Jan Stary
From: Jan Stary @ 2021-04-26 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On Apr 25 19:06:45, sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> Ah ! I forgot to write about the real situation: *live*-streaming across the
> local network.
>
> I'm working as a teacher and have to teach a class that is separated into
> two halfs
> each half in its own room to limit the number of persons per room.
>
> I'm forced to use Big Blue Button as the video-conference solution.

Well, you already have your tool to do it then.

> Though the bandwidth of the internetconnection and/or the server-"bandwidth"
> to process the video-sreaming-data
> for a lot of conferences at the same time.   Is limited which causes lagging
> of the audio.

I find it strange that a video conferencing software would not keep sync
(not that it lags _as_a_whole_, that's understandable). Do you meen to
say that tha audio lags out of sync of how much the video lags?

> Under this circumstances (small bandwidth/overloaded server)   Big Blue
> Button is more like a   Little-Black-Hole
> that disrupts the data into nowhere-nexus  ;-)
>
> So I'm searching for an alternative for "*live*-streaming the audio.

That might make the audio even more out of sync with the audio.

> If the rooms are next to each other an oldfashioned analog microphone
> connected to an oldfashioned analog amplifyer
> with a 50m long speaker-cable has 0 Milliseconds latency and is
> "rock-stable" as a neutron-star

Do youself a favour and install two unix machines;
this becomes a non-issue.

At any rate, this doesn't have much to do with sox.

	Jan

@ 2021-04-26 11:26               ` alant123
From: alant123 @ 2021-04-26 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

Well, as has been said - this is very little to do with Sox.  However, let
me chip in an observation.

Having a mostly finished video library that uses HTML5 pages to browse and
play I can testify that the video player infrastructure quality between
browsers no Windows varies a LOT and one of the issues with viewing streams
on a LAN is audio sync (that and random stops).  Strangely, because I had
never used it for anything ever before, I have found that the Microsoft Edge
browser is the only one that is rock solid for media playing in this way.
So, since your application is also LAN based video streaming I wondered if
you had tried Edge or not?

I had problems with Firefox player (frequent and various issues including
sync), Chrome (less frequent but usually sync or random stops) and also IE
(all kinds of problems) - but Edge plays my video library content (which
varies from 1mbit/sec up to 15Mb/second almost all H264 in MP4 containers)
from my LAN based Apache server (also on Windows) reliably and with no
issues.

Just a thought.

Alan T

@ 2021-04-27 23:28             ` Robert Jeffares
From: Robert Jeffares @ 2021-04-27 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

On 26/04/21 5:06 am, Stefan Ludwig via Sox-users wrote:
> small bandwidth/overloaded server

Time for some advanced IT Stefan!

You will have a computer in your source room with a camera & Microphone
feeding the streaming software.

You may have a return feed from the 2nd Room.

Install a second network in your Source and Client Computers

If the school uses 192.168.x.x pick 10.0.x.x or vice versa.  You just
need some exclusive addressing.

Install a router with one lead to your server and a second lead Cat6
into the adjacent room.

The local network can run at the same time as the School network in case
you need to bring in www.

This way your video is not being routed via dodgy cable or even more
dodgy WiFi through some central office router serviced by a stop motion
geek who communicates in a foreign tongue that even Spock can't identify.

Maybe edit that out if you're sending it on.

If you can't kreg a router you can make your source IP static and have
the client PC connect direct no need for DNS so a simple switch will
manage the connection.

regards Robert

PS I showed my son the Teacher and school IT guy how to use a redundant
phone cable to get IP 50 -60m under a concrete quadrangle and into a
junction cabinet in the wall adjacent to the classroom where a teacher
was delivering to students at home.  2 x 2pr cable = 4pr which is enough
for 10baseT We got 100mb/s both ways. Switch at either end cleaned up
any cable errors.  Observe; Adapt; Adopt; Son never ceases to be amazed
at Father. Father remembers time when we had wind up telephones.

--

@ 2021-04-28  0:25                 ` Robert Jeffares
From: Robert Jeffares @ 2021-04-28  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sox-users

H Alan & others,

I have some experience with distribution of  AV over IP.

Various encoding algorithms produce some delay between picture and audio
even over short distances.

Most of the play code has some vernier adjustment to sync the words and
picture.

Some encoding allows a FEC adjustment.

Inevitably there is some buffering so 'live' DTV is actually a bit
behind the origination. More so than it was in analogue.

Playout with some dedicated program like VLC is often better then
Firefox or Chrome or Safari [or ..]

Problems can start with the source. So a camera limitation can control
the whole chain.

Pick the software : [ big blue ]

Run it up on the best hardware you can find.

Use the best possible cameras for the head end.

That said you can get some amazing video from cameras that don't cost
huge amounts.

Browser implementation of DTV is a challenge as there are an incredible
number of standards.

I am currently monitoring an on line feed of a FTA TV channel where the
live presenter audio is out of sync but the video clips are in sync.

I suspect the TS from the live studio is at a higher resolution needing
more time to process.

Digital has a lot of advantages but it comes with a lot of things that
have to be allowed for.

regards

Robert