From: Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users <jn.ml.sxu.88@wingsandbeaks.org.uk>
To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: basic help with SoX on windows 10
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 12:36:00 +0000

On 2019-10-29 08:56, Nils Wallgren wrote:
> Hi, I am new to SoX and can’t really figure out how to understand
> where things save. I ran this in my command prompt in windows
>
>  sox -t waveaudio -d new-file.wav

It's like other commands in Windows; if you don't specify a fully
pathed filename then it uses whatever Windows thinks is the current
working directory.

It's far better to be specific, eg

    sox -t waveaudio -d "C:\this\that\other\new-file.wav"

> Most intructions seems to be on Os  and it is quite hard to find
> instructions of the basics for windows.

You can get the PDF manual for sox (and soxi, which can also be
useful) at

   http://sox.sourceforge.net/Docs/Documentation

You don't have to read the whole manual - ie you don't need to read
about all the different effects, but you do need to understand the
basic command syntax and the information about how sox goes about
doing things.  I'd suggest you start by reading the first 14 pages
or so.

I don't know what you mean by "on Os".

Most (all?) of the examples will work as shown, on Windows.

> Do I have to type sox before anything I want to do with sox in the
> command prompt? How do I start a recording and stop it?

Typing the sox command starts sox, either to make a recording, or
(if that's already been done and you tell it to process a existing
file) to start doing things to that file.

See "Stopping sox" on p6 of the manual.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own