From: Eric Wong <normalperson@yhbt.net>
To: sox-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Process too soft/loud audio with sox
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 07:02:53 +0000

Francesco Ariis <fa-ml@ariis.it> wrote:
> Hello sox-users,
>     I have an audio file which is at times too soft and at times too
> loud. I would like to make the soft parts a little bit louder and the
> loud parts a little bit softer.
>
> Can sox do this?

compand and mcompand can do it in sox natively.  They're a bit
tricky to learn but fmiser wrote some great posts:

https://sourceforge.net/p/sox/mailman/message/23427259/
https://public-inbox.org/sox-users/20090829011522.cf27e6ee.fmiser@gmail.com/

For simple cases or a final pass after compand/mcompand; I like
tap_limiter from the TAP-plugins LADSPA package:

	sox $IN $OUT ladspa -lr tap_limiter -4 3.5
	(limit to -4dB, add 3.5dB gain)

	http://tap-plugins.sourceforge.net/

I usually use compand or mcompand for recordings which need a
lot of correction.  tap_limiter is good for recordings which
only need a little correction, or after everything else (EQ,
compand/mcompand, etc...)

  parent reply index